The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 7, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
swipter

Listen to this

So I know a trap shooter that is a gunsmith who lives close to me. I took my 525 Citori to him for one of those plates that are adjustable on the stock. He told me that I should have spoke with him before I bought and that the Citori I have is not good. He said the stock is a field model (it is) and that with the aiming points on the rib behind each other that I will cover the target when I go to shoot it. He told me the front site should be on top of the rear. I shot the gun and it is dead on. Yes, it goes where you point it but when you are shooting skeet, trap, or sporting clays you are leading anyway and could not cover the target. THen he started talking about 60% high and blah blah blah. He was talking about trap guns...which he makes, by the way. In my opinion, you buy what you want and get used to it or make it so it fits you. He also said a 28 inch barrel was too short and I should have gotten at least a 30 and a 32 would be better. I did look at them but did not want one that long. Thanks for listening.
Old February 7, 2006, 10:08 PM   #2
firestorm9mm

right on I shoot trap with 28 inch barrels and a field gun, Franchi . Its all personal preference. sounds like the guy was just trying to sell you one of his.
Old February 7, 2006, 10:13 PM   #3
fireaway45

First off, From the 16 yard line any shotgun will work fine with the right choke. I've shot clean rounds with Remington 870 Express Field Gun, 26in barrel and modified choke. But also, Everything he said I find true, but not mandatory. I like my guns to shoot high, and for the front bead to always sit on the rear bead This will take effect at your handicap yardage around 23 or 24 yards. That way you dont have to lead the birds as much. I find that I can get on and break birds faster if I dont hafta lead as much. Just personal opinion
Old February 7, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4
swipter

True fireaway, that is easily adjustable. All I have to do change the way I sight. One thing to remember is that it is a shotgun. It is not an exact science. The beretta is that way and you have to point under the targets. I did have issues when I first started shooting the 525 due to this. The first clay on station one is a money shot with the Beretta. It took some practice with the 525 to learn exactly where it shoots. I know with the 391 when my son and I were doing sporting clays it did fine...and that is with a 28 inch barrel. I am talking about targets a good 50-60 yards away. I looked at a 525 sporting but did not like the weight. I also didn't like the $500 increase in price.
Old February 8, 2006, 10:07 AM   #5
russcomp

you didn't lrave your gun did you
Old February 8, 2006, 01:27 PM   #6
swipter

"you didn't lrave your gun did you"

Sorry, I don't know what "Irave" is.
Old February 8, 2006, 02:57 PM   #7
orangeTJ

First of all, I hope what he was saying about the 525 not being a good gun is false, because I just left a good chunk of change with the dealer from whom I bought mine! I bought mine to shoot skeet, trap and SC recreationally. I handled a 30" "sporting" model but didn't like the balance and the ported barrels. Second, I wouldn't worry too much about the POI thing. If the gun works for you, your fine and it doesn't matter what somebody else has to say. Personally, I find that I shoot much better with a gun that shoots to POA rather than above POA. I don't think the 28" barrels are a big handicap for a recreational shooter, either. This past weekend I shot with a buddy who has an older 28" 20ga. Citori which according to the experts should be a poor choice for trap shooting. I shot better with that gun than I ever have with my Remington 870 TB Trap.

The bottom line is this: if the gun fits you and you like the way it shoots, your golden!
Old February 8, 2006, 07:04 PM   #8
swipter

Got it back from him after he put on an adjustable plate with a curved trap pad. Let me tell you...it feels great. It added about 5/8 inch or more to the length of pull and you can adjust the pad down or cant it to the side. What a difference. I didn't think the curved pad would feel very good. Boy was I mistaken. Now I can aim straight or with the front sight on top of the rear. I know you will be satisfied with your purchase. I know I am.