The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Big Yac

Federal rifle primers

I have some reloading data for IMR 4895 and IMR 4320 to use for my .308 reloads. The data calls for a Federal 210M primer but my Federal primers are just 210...I'm guessing the M stands for magnum? If so can I still use this data with my standard Federal primers and have it work ok? The bullets are 150 Noslar BT ballistic tips and the others are Hornady 110gr ballistic tips.
Old October 17, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
ClarkEMyers

Good to ask but I'd ask Federal not a bunch of strangers.

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ on the web

210 Large Rifle size 0.210
GM210M Large Rifle Match size 0.210
215 Large Magnum Rifle
GM215M Large Magnum Rifle Match

GM is Gold Medal, the others are Champion - all fine primers. In general I wouldn't hesitate to go back and forth from match to non-match. Of course if your source is accuracy loads you may find the match primers contributed to the accuracy. Notice too that some say the Federal 215 series is the weakest of the various magnum primer lines - just something to keep in mind not a license to substitute.
Old October 17, 2005, 08:05 PM   #3
bill k

I use fed 215 mag primers for several cartridges as well as cci 250 magnum primers. Why do you feel the feds are the weakest of the mag primers? I'm looking for that last little bit of accuracy is why I ask.
Old October 17, 2005, 11:05 PM   #4
ClarkEMyers

I haven't tested any myself but

I haven't tested any myself but it's fairly common for a gun writer to remark that the 215 series first made to fire off Weatherby cartridges does not produce the highest pressures in tests of different primers - IIRC the last Handloader Magazine - August - repeated this with a table of loads varying the primer in a decent article on Velocity and Pressure by Barsness. A google or a search on the boards will find it said that Federal magnum primers produce less pressure than Winchester magnum primers all else equal. May well be urban legend but I doubt it. Others might well say wax bullets fly farther with Federal for all I know.