The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2013, 12:19 PM   #1
smh1040us

Help with reloading

As a newbie to reloading I am trying to learn all I can and of course safety is a major concern. I have purchased reloading manuals from Lee and Hornady and have spent time online trying to get needed recipes for my 223 reloads. I see that I can get some Hornady A-Max bullets from Cheaper than Dirt and I have some CFE 223 powder from Hodgdon.
Neither of my reloading manuals has any info for the CFE223 powder. I went to the web site for Hodgdon and printed out their load data for the CFE223 and it does not list any Hornady A-Max bullets.
So, do I need different powder to load A-Max bullets and do I need different bullets to use with the CFE223 powder?
If I sound confused and frustrated it is because it is am confused and frustrated.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Use the data from other bullets of the same weight and construction. Data listed for SIE SP or HPBT or SIE MK, etc, are fine. The A-Max is a traditional "Cup and Core" bullet, meaning copper outside, lead inside, and substituting data for other bullets of the same weight and construction is appropriate.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:26 PM   #3
boostedtt91

you can not use A-Max bullets for a semi auto .223 rifle. They can only be used in a bolt action rifle. They are to long of a bullet to fit into a magazine. They are designed for bolt action guns only
Old February 23, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's certainly no reason that 52gr A-Max wouldn't work, I can't speak to any of the heavier versions.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:41 PM   #5
chris in va

Quote:
you can not use A-Max bullets for a semi auto .223 rifle. They can only be used in a bolt action rifle. They are to long of a bullet to fit into a magazine. They are designed for bolt action guns only
That's only for the 75 and 80gr versions.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:59 PM   #6
boostedtt91

oh ok i stand corrected. Thats good to know