The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1
Hoosier_Daddy

New to me S&W 586

Finally joined the revolver world. Picked up a 31 year old, but new in box, S&W 586 ( no dash) 6" .357 magnum. I had been searching for a 686+ but when this showed itself I just had to get it.

Now for the dumb question. What, if anything, does one do to preserve the finish of the wood grips?
Old March 16, 2013, 04:33 AM   #2
Sevens

I don't know what's the best method to do what you are asking -- except that MANY folks remove the original grips specifically to preserve them in their pristine state.

I can tell you that I removed the grips from my then-new 686-3, but that was just because I grew up in the 80's and back then, all us mullet headed guys used a Pachmayr black rubber grip with finger grooves. My original 686 grips have never been mounted on a revolver and fired, unless the factory had them on for a test-firing.

The original L-frame Magna stocks just seem to leave a lot to be desired in a comfortable, ergonomic grip, in my opinion. That doesn't make it fact, but it's an opinion that many share.

I don't think those grips are all too hard to find. So while I don't know the best method for preserving your grips AND using them, I think your best bet is to find another set just like them in a used bin at a gun show, and remove yours and store them.

You bought a great revolver.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:10 AM   #3
got2hav1

Congrats on your 586. They are fine revolvers. I just found a 4" version myself and love it a lot. Got any pictures of yours you can post. We would love to see it. Here is mine.

Colt OMM, GP100, Colt DS