The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1
1tfl

Remington 1100 for waterfowl hunting?

Anybody here use Remington 1100 for waterfowl hunting?

I'm taking may brother on the next dunk hunt and only shotgun he can use is my 12 gauge Remington 1100 Express. I got this model 1100 about 5 years ago from Dicks. It's the standard 2 3/4" model with 28" modified Remchoke barrel. I know 2 3/4" shell load are not the optimal but it will have to do.

I need some ammo recommendations from those of you who use this shotgun to hunt waterfowls. Some people have told me that I can not use 2 3/4" magnum loads in this shotgun while other have said it's okay. One guy even told me I can not use steelshot loads in standard 1100 barrel and that I need to use special steelshot barrel for it. I find it hard to believe that I can not use the standard barrel from couple years ago to shoot steelshots.

I use a 870 but it's stock is too long for him as I had it extended to fit my long arms.
Old November 10, 2011, 12:31 PM   #2
south.texas.dead.I

The best bet would be to call up Remington and ask them if your barrel is safe for steel loads. However, I got a buddy who uses this as a duck gun and has had no trouble with it yet. As far as 2 3/4" loads go I've always felt that they were fine to use for most game.

Tapatalk ya
Old November 10, 2011, 01:25 PM   #3
johnbt

Remchokes are good for steel. The only exception is the FULL tube marked lead only. They make a FULL marked for lead & steel.

I've used an 1100 for waterfowl. Get some HeviShot in #6 for ducks and #4 for small to medium geese and have at it. Or just shoot #4. It's hard to pack very many large steel pellets in a little shell.

I have a 3.5" SX-2 and half the time I only use 2.75" shells. The other half is 3". I've never fired a 3.5" shell in my life.

John
Old November 10, 2011, 01:26 PM   #4
johnbt

And most of the time when shooting Hevi-Shot I use an IC choke, but try the MOD first and see how it patterns.
Old November 10, 2011, 04:37 PM   #5
AllenJ

If the gun was purchased new 5 years ago you can shoot steel shot through it safely. Use the modified choke of course.

As for ammo I have used (and still do) 2 3/4" #2's with either 1 1/8th or 1 1/4 ounce loads. To tell the truth I can't tell much if any difference in either while shooting ducks over decoys. The lighter load has a velocity of 1400 fps while the heavier load says 1300 fps. If you are pass shooting you may want to look into Heavy Shot or one of the other Non-toxics that shoot better than lead.
Old November 10, 2011, 06:55 PM   #6
classicshotgunner

1tfl, if the long stock of the Remington model 870 is the only thing that doesn't fit your brother and is stopping him from using it, the Remington model 1100 stock will fit the model 870 and work. A quick change would make it hunt ready. After the hunt it can be changed back.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:05 PM   #7
1tfl

Thank you everyone for your replies.
I called Remington and they said as long as the Remchoke says "lead or steel" it's fine. She said I can use any 2 3/4" shells including Mags and MAX loads in the gun. I plan on using Modified and/or IC so everything should be okay.

I only have a 870 and the 1100 and I will be using the Remington 870 with the long stock... so my brother will be stuck with the 1100.