The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 22, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
603Country

Lever action on Skunk duty - rabid skunk?

While working in the side yard this afternoon, a skunk came staggering out from behind a shed. He'd take 3 wobbly steps and fall, get back up and fall again. I got the 9422 and when he got about 25 feet into the woods, I shot him. He wasn't foaming at the mouth. What are signs that a skunk is rabid? And...the shot was really about 400 yards with a 25 mph crosswind...no it wasn't.
Old July 22, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For specific signs, you'd probably do better with Google.

My rule of thumb about any such critter that acts weirdly, acts out-of-normal pattern, is to do just what you did. End any potential problem.
Old July 22, 2011, 07:01 PM   #3
mete

We've recently had three foxes found with rabies .The fox population has been high so maybe mother nature is reducing the population.I expect more problem with other animals too.
I too have the attitude to destroy any animal that looks or acts abnormally. And time to educate kids also !
Old July 22, 2011, 07:11 PM   #4
BigBadPigg

The wobbly steps are a sign of rabies any animal that looks like it had one to many beers.. Although it could have just been injured, I suggest not examining it though.
Old July 22, 2011, 11:34 PM   #5
m17s_guy

best bet is to call animal control to have it tested. it will call attention to the fact that they have a rabies outbreak (if the animal tests positive) and allow them to highten awareness to others in the surrounding area. Rabies this time of year is not really that much of a concern. It happens every year, thousand of recorded cases. You only hear a lot about it when you get a fox running around in a subdivision or something like that. Still, i would call animal control and get mention you believe you saw signs of rabies. They should come out and remove the carcass and test it for free.
Old July 23, 2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

My understanding is that the testers want the brain intact, so body shots are to be preferred.
Old July 23, 2011, 06:14 AM   #7
Maxem0815

Rabid skunk call animal control in your area. We have rabid foxes skunks and the animal control wants them for research not raccoons.

or the skunk had a bit to much to drink at the skunk bar ( you know drunk as a skunk)

Mace
Old July 23, 2011, 12:27 PM   #8
603Country

I can't seem to find anyone to contact around here (in central Texas) regarding the rabid skunk, and as for testing the head, that's where I put the first bullet. This skunk, which was probably nearly dead when I saw him, might be the explanation for why buzzards were eating a dead skunk in the pasture in front of the house the other day. That was a skunk that I didn't shoot, so I wondered what had killed him in the wide open pasture. I guess it was rabies. I keep the 9422 lever gun above the door in my woodworking shop and the 39A by the back door in the main house, and I'll keep an eye out for other nocturnal critters in the daylight.

And Geez, Maxem....drunk as a skunk...wish I'd said that...
Old July 23, 2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

There can be two manifestations from rabies, a "furious" phase where the animal is highly aggressive, and the "dumb" phase, exhibiting symptoms much like you observed. All rabid animals go through a dumb phase.

For your reading pleasure: http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.net/rabies.php

Quote:
The wobbly steps are a sign of rabies any animal that looks like it had one to many beers..
Not necessarily. Raccoons are susceptible to canine distemper and the symptoms are very similar to those in the rabies dumb phase. Several years ago, we had a rash of sick raccoons. Some were tested, and while there were occurances of rabies, more tested positive for distempter. Either way, the animal is doomed to a nasty death and it's best not to take chances.

http://www.addl.purdue.edu/newslette.../raccoon.shtml

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 23, 2011, 01:26 PM   #10
bullethole1

I shot and killed a racoon like that a few years back. It did seem it had too many bud lights
Old July 23, 2011, 01:32 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would do the same thing no matter what although gun choice may vary.

Is there any fruit trees with ripe fruit right now?

Brent
Old July 23, 2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is there any fruit trees with ripe fruit right now?
In case no one knows what drunk animals look like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5E5TjkDvU0

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 25, 2011, 10:29 AM   #13
gio55

if it dident spray chances are it is rabid ... skunks spray out of fear most of the times.. but when their rabid their fear instinks are close to nill..
Old July 25, 2011, 03:11 PM   #14
603Country

This one didn't spray, though I was smart enough (this time) to check wind direction before I cranked off a round his way. In the Spring I shot one due west of the house and he sprayed what looked like a fog bank. Gave it 3 monumental sprays before he checked out. The wind was from the west, and the slight wind just seemed to hold the cloud of spray right on my house. That didn't go well. Note to self.....
Old July 25, 2011, 08:01 PM   #15
tahunua001

if you cant find any animal control centers the local fish and game offices usually jump on stuff like that. in montana we had issues with rabid skunks and all the rabies scares were directed at F&G. all they asked was that you avoided shooting them in the head and call them immediately so they could send someone to lop off the head and throw the rest away. I guess you need to test the brains before it starts to decompose. just food for thought if you have another drunk skunk woddle up on you
Old July 31, 2011, 04:28 AM   #16
bamaranger

bury it

If you don't get the critter tested, at least bury it deep, w/o touching the carcass directly.