The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2002, 01:49 AM   #1
Zak Smith

Barnes XPB results ?

Anyone have experience with Barnes "XPB" bullets for handguns? I am looking at the 200 and 225gr's for .44.

These bullets are made of a copper alloy, with no lead, and have a very deep hollow-point, and a "solid" base. As a result, they take up more space for the same bullet mass, meaning less internal volume available for combustion. I loaded some up with 7.5gr Unique and accuracy was about the same as Hornady XTP's.

Has anyone seen any terminal ballistics for these bullets?

thanks
Zak
Old June 24, 2002, 04:53 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

NEVER EVEN TRIED THEM

If I need premium jacketed I use Swift A-Frames; all other 'penetrating' loads utilize some sort of (beautiful) heavy lead bullet.

IMNSHO the Barnes leave me slightly suspect due to the lack of a lead (or heavy metal) core; concerned about 'true flight' and 'straight penetration'.
Zero worries with the Swifts or lead.............

Maybe the Barnes work great on thin-skinned or non-biting creatures.
Old June 24, 2002, 11:19 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Zip experience with anything Barnes except their 165 XBT in .30 cal at 2400 fps.

"Good enough" accuracy = ~1"++ 3-shot groups at 100 & no signs of tipping past 300 yds. 300 yd groups around 4-5", & some of that's me. My "low-velocity" bullet of choice for elk.

Ballistic Coefficient is very high due to the added length-for-weight, but as you mentioned, a bit of a internal case volumne loss associated.

All mine's been rifle-stuff ... & with excellent results.

Too, I've heard of the bullets not obturating to the rifling due to the "hard" cpper/solid bullet. The metal is annealed to proper hardness & does - all have full-groove rifling that I've shot.

As with any compenent change, always work up from known data.

Actually, for a .44/.45 cal-class handgun I'd not spend the big $s using such a premium bullet, unless for a .44 special level SD loading, or similar. A hard-cast bullet will shoot through almost anything reasonable & kill it just as dead as a $.50 bullet will.