The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2011, 09:06 PM   #1
300magman

Load Advice Please 45-70 with Benchmark

I'm experimenting with a few different powders and shooting the 405gr Remington Jacketed Bulk Bullets, with CCI Primers.

Does anyone have a starting load/max load for this bullet and powder in 45-70 with a Marlin Lever action.

Even a guess-timate would be welcome as I only have one source and I always like to verify with at least 2. (BTW, my Quickload predictions are so far off with every load/powder combination that I have tried so far, with this cartridge, that I can not even use it to make an estimate)
Old September 14, 2011, 09:20 PM   #2
TXGunNut

My Guide Gun seems to like 39.0 grains of IMR4198 under the RP 405. OAL is a bit tricky, I wound up w/ 2.565", Lee & Lyman like 2.550".
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:38 AM   #3
300magman

I see in most manuals that the IMRs slightly out perform the Hodgdons of the same #, but my shelf is stocked with the latter, simply because of the supposed temperature insensitivity of the "extreme" line. That said, I did get nice results with 4198, but now I am experimenting with more powders, simply because the 45-70 is my "fun gun" and I have 1000's of bulk box 405gr bullets to play with.

For the moment Benchmark is my latest powder in line for experimentation, and that is the one I need advice with today.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
PawPaw

Have you tried the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center? They show data for a 400 grain bullet and with that close a weight to your preferred bullet, it should be fairly easy to extrapolate safely.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 15, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Benchmark is fairly new as such things go in the slow moving powder business, at least in the USA. Of course Hodgdon lists it but even Lyman 49 only shows one combination with it, and that not with a 400 or 405. They use it with a 350 grain bullet in a Ruger, which is a horse of a different color. I note that they load it grain for grain with H322, although Hodgdon loads for Benchmark are heavier than for H322.

It looks like a subject for, well, experimentation.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:36 AM   #6
totaldla

I worked up loads with BM and the 405gr Rem, WLR primers for my Guide Gun. The fastest I went was 51gr, which yielded 1780fps. 1 grain was good for 40fps. With my rifle, I had "sweet spots" at 49.5gr and 51 grains. I didn't spend any more time with it, but I'm sure there was a super sweet spot in there somewhere.

I used Remington Nickel-plate brass, 2.55" COL and the Lee FCD for crimping.

Hope this helps.

Although I ultimately settled on H4198, I believe H322, BM and even Varget showed great promise.

Last edited by totaldla; September 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old September 15, 2011, 02:04 PM   #7
300magman

Ok, guys, thanks for the input. When I get back to my bench I will have to compare notes on the 322 vs Benchmark, as I know I had a moderate load of H322 that was easily toping 1800fps with great shot to shot consistency.

I may also throw in a little IMR8208XBR in the future. I had started to experiment with it using 300gr bullets. I actually started loading with 1 gr less than the "book" start loads (because I was using a slightly shorter OAL, 2.510) and much to my surprise the first load was yeilding over 2120fps. . . . It scared me a little when I saw that # on the chronograph, but examining the case showed no pressure signs, so I am cautiously going to start working toward middle loads and see where the velocity goes.
(The referece book specifically stated "Marlin Lever Action" btw, just in case anyone was wondering if I was using a Rugar #1 load by accident . . . I double checked)