The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
mustangmanv6

870 Wingmaster SuperMag

I was wondering i am really in need of information i am going to be getting a wingmaster supermag that is very very clean for around 350 and i wanted to know does anyone know if the 870 express supermag barrels will work for it. I need to know in case want to shoot slugs and do some hunting with it. As well does anyone know if you can get a replacement barrels for it. I just don't know what parts are available for it. I called Remington and the person i talked to didn't even know they had produced it. Can anyone give me any information on it?
Old March 23, 2011, 11:01 PM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

The Express Supermag barrel will bolt right on with no modifications...
Old March 24, 2011, 01:09 AM   #3
zippy13

The significant difference between 870 Wingmasters and 870 Expresses is the level of finish: Wingmasters are polished and Expresses are matte black. There may be a minor issue over a different mag cap restraint (to click or not to click).
Old March 25, 2011, 01:33 PM   #4
mustangmanv6

I would like to know i mean is it safe to shot without the piece locking in?
Old March 25, 2011, 02:19 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

If by the piece not locking in you mean the express barrel does not have a spring barrel detent on the guide ring, it is easily remiedied.

The inexpensive way is to order a package of wave 3 washers from Brownells for about $6. You only use one. They may be marketed for the 1100 but will work with an 870 barrel and I THINK with a supermagnum. That is the cheap way that I accomocated a new style Express barrrel without a dentent to work with a new style magazine cap. Some just get an o ring from the hardware.

The slick way to do it is to have a detent istalled on the barrel guide ring. If when ordering a barrel from Remington by telephone, I think they will do this for $25. If you have a barrel already, it should be a simple job for a smith; especially if the hole is already drilled on the guide ring. Some barrels without detents come with the the hole and some without.

If you are adventurous and the hole is pre drilled. a staking tool for that is about $20. The detent is about $3 and I don't know about the spring.

You can shoot without anyting to keep it tigth if you keep checking. Even with the wave washer it can loosen up with enough use.

Tags
3 1/2 , 870 , remington , supermag , wingmaster