The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 20, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
troopcom

PPS43-C pistol

Has anyone acquired one of these PPS43-C 7.62x25 pistols, and if so what's your opinion of it? I know it's Polish and the ad says it's made in the Radom factory in Poland. Is is reliable? Does it have a chrome lined barrel? Can the stock be extended and used as an SBR?
Old October 20, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
raftman

I had one for a little while and would not recommend it.

The good:
-It was cool-looking, and appeared well-made.
-It also fed and ejected very positively.
-Disassembly and reassembly is very simple/easy.
-Does apparently have a chrome-lined bore.

The bad:
-Not comfortable to shoot (give that the stock doesn't fold out).
-Not easy to be accurate with.
-The trigger was very crude and gritty.
-A misshapen disconnector caused the pistol to often chamber a new round (the bolt would after all travel all the way to the rear) but without cocking the hammer (actually, I have heard this is worse if using commercial ammo as it often results in a slamfire, meaning the weapon may fire twice or several times with one pull of the trigger, very bad as far as the ATF is concerned!). I used mil-surp ammo. This problem was not unique to mine and others have reported the same issue. This problem doesn't improve with wear as in break-in period, but actually gets progressively worse the more you shoot it. This would not have happened with the original PPS-43 as the original weapon fired from an open bolt with the firing pin fixed to the bolt, the PPS-43C pistol is hammer fired with an FCG similar to an AK (but less reliable, of course).

The stock is welded permanently folded and it appears the axis around which it folds is also permanently fixed. Probably not impossible to do the SBR thing with it.
Old October 23, 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
troopcom

Thanks raftman! That makes me really reconsider purchasing one!