The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 1, 2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Bookbinder

03A3

I have a beautiful Remington O3A3. I wanted to see if anyone knew if there was a way to improve the rear site. IE Bjonessites etc, I am at work now and can not look at Bob Jones site, because it is considered one of those evil gun sites.
Thanks
Tackleberry

PS- My Dad purchased this rifle for 17 dollars from the CMP.
Old February 1, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Slamfire

If you have a all original military configuration 03A3, don't mess with it. You will halve its value the second you saw off the rear sight.

Because of the value of these things, I really doubt there are any drop in rear sights. I cannot think of any being made in the "good" old days. What folks did back in the 50's and 60's was to drill and tap the receiver and put on a Lyman 48S. That sight is easily $100 on ebay, and again, drilling and tapping the receiver will knock about $250.00 off the value of your rifle.

The A3 rear sight is not bad, it may not exactly zero on elevation, but that can be fixed. I like a 100 yard zero with my favorite ammunition. You simply buy tall A3 front sight blades, remove the pin, install a new one. If the rifle shoots low, as it should with a tall front sight and set at 100 yards elevation, you can file some height off the front site. About .006" equals 1 inch at 100 yards.

As for windage, this rifle has a windage knob. Learn to use it.

If you want a hunting rifle, well trade the thing off to a collector for a nice scoped hunting rifle.
Old February 1, 2008, 07:51 PM   #3
hpg

I have two 03A3's and I like the rear sights. I wouldn't touch them........hpg
Old February 1, 2008, 07:59 PM   #4
DnPRK

I suggest getting a "Merit Deluxe Optical Attachment" for your shooting glasses. It has a small suction cup that attaches to your lens and an adjustable iris. It works on the same principle as a pinhole camera lens. When I am wearing mine, the sights are sharp. Google it for best price. It will likely be much cheaper than a bobjones.

The best thing is it won't cause you to turn a $650 rifle into a $300 hack job.