The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
okiefarmer

White Label BAC lube?????

I am getting ready to order up a new stock of stick lube for my 450. Have mostly used the Orange Magic, and really have no issues, hust want to try something new. Mostly lubing slower velocity pistol bullets, but may lube some faster ones not wishing to change lubes (it's a PITA when in mid stick anyway) Searched for some likes/dislikes amongst the group, and BAC seems to pop up a lot. I order a lot from Midway, and they don't show it. Googled White Label and came up with a site that sells White Label and also Alox in 32ounce bottles. I saw no reference to BAC on the site, so I will plead ignorance here, professing I do not know what the acronym BAC stands for.

Help a fellow caster out here and steer me to the right source.

TIA,
Okie out
Old February 3, 2010, 07:34 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

about 1/2 way down the page. You can order it in hollow sticks or solid sticks. For you sizer, you prolly want the hollow sticks. You can also get them in hard plastic containers or ziploc baggies (the latter is cheaper). When I order, I order whatever fits in a flat rate envelope. Good stuff...you wont be dissapointed.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 3, 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
okiefarmer

So ICH, I diid google the right site. But, what is BAC? They didn't really 'splain that on the site. They list the carnauba, the BAC, and a 2500 lube. No descriptions of either, unless I missed that page in my surfing.

Thanks,
okie out
Old February 3, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

BAC:
This lube is a mix of my Carnauba Red and 50-50, light red in color.
Some of my customers started mixing it this way at home to get a lube with performance similar to Carnauba Red, does not need a heater. Slightly softer than the 2500+ lube.

If you are looking for what exactly is in it......well, i think that is kinda a secret recipe, ya know what i mean?

It's good stuff...just buy it! I use it for lower velocity 45acp loads and high velocity 357 mag loads.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old February 4, 2010, 07:34 AM   #5
hornady

A+ on the BAC ( special Blend ). Its half the price of Orange Magic. And a little less sticky. I cast 9MM, 38/357, and 45ACP loads. It works great in my Lyman 450. If casting in cooler weather you may need a little heat
Old February 4, 2010, 09:53 AM   #6
okiefarmer

Thanks guys,

Duh, I went back and saw the scroll down option on the first page where it described each type. 'Twas not looking for their recipe, just a basic description of what the maker's recommendations for each type of lube, ie., lower velocity lubes vs. higher velocity lubes.

I never did find a telephone number to just call it in. I printed the order off. I'll go back and take another peek, but there has to be a way of doing it online if one is to use a paypal or other electronic payment.

Thanks again, glad I found that stuff. Might look into the gascheck maker someday too. Looks like another neat toy for the shop.
Old February 4, 2010, 02:08 PM   #7
snuffy

Changing lubes in a 450 Lyman sizer is a giant PITA. You almost HAVE to submerge the entire sizer in boiling water to get all the old lube out. That's why I settled on tamarack NRA formula 50-50 alox-beeswax for mine.

I'm actually considering buying another 450 to put some other type of lube in it. Also it would allow me to leave it set up with a certain size die rather than have to swap out each time a bug bit me for a new experiment of a different size.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old February 4, 2010, 09:21 PM   #8
GP100man

450 clean out

snuffy & others

I pop the bottom die out & remove the pressure nut .
then turn a heat lamp on it & place a container underneath to catch the lube!

Since finding White Label lubes though I have`nt had to clean em out any further , just add!!
Old February 5, 2010, 02:13 PM   #9
salvadore

its cheaper to make your own.
Old February 5, 2010, 02:37 PM   #10
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

It's more messy to make your own. I haven't figured it up in a while. At $1.65 per stick it is hard to wanna make the mess or go out and buy the ingredients. To each their own.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old February 5, 2010, 06:41 PM   #11
salvadore

It's messy to cast your own bullets too.
Old February 5, 2010, 06:56 PM   #12
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

It is? News to me.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
Old February 6, 2010, 12:10 AM   #13
Stick_man

The mess is half the fun of casting. When I am reloading, I ALWAYS make a huge mess. It's a might pretty mess, if I say so myself. Then, when I am cleaning up that mess, I just place all the "mess" in the ammo boxes with a label so I know what I am shooting and when the "mess" was made.

White Label Lubes is located in Pocatello, Idaho and seem to be great guys to deal with. They have their product also listed on an auction site (that doesn't list brass or bullets anymore) for about the same price as you can buy direct. Haven't tried their product yet, but plan to do so soon. Have heard many great and wonderful things about it.
Old February 7, 2010, 03:12 AM   #14
AlaskaMike

White Label Lube is a single person outfit. He's absolutely great to deal with and you simply can't go wrong. I've used his Carnauba Red in my high velocity .30-06 loads at up to about 2400 fps using water quenched wheel weight alloy and no leading at all. He's a vet with a home business and puts out a high quality product at an extremely good price--what's not to like? In my opinion as long as he's in business there's just no reason for me to make my own lube unless I suddenly get the hobby interest in lube that I have in bullet casting. Not likely.

Mike