The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 3, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Incitatus

Vigilant Citizens In Action: O. C. Gun Grabbing Sheriff, Deputies Caught Red Handed

Sheriff officials' texts show disdain, combative view toward gun activists

A series of messages detail sheriffs' officials disparaging activists and county supervisors protesting new gun policies.

Transcripts of text messages sent by Orange County CA sheriff's officials during a November 2008 Board of Supervisors meeting shows the law enforcement leaders used their cell phones to ridicule activists and even supervisors during a public hearing on gun permit policies.

The messages, obtained under a public records request by a group named Ordinary California Citizens Concerned With Safety, reveal a combative tone by sheriff's command staff toward the activists. Some county supervisors questioned whether that defensiveness triggered the large security presence that met and tried to intimidate activists when they returned to a January meeting seeking to again criticize Sheriff Sandra Hutchens' gun policies.

Read the rest here
Old February 3, 2009, 01:59 PM   #2
ZeSpectre

I wonder if they called 'em "overcompensating asshats" (100 bonus points to anyone who can remember what VCDL incident that came from )

Last edited by ZeSpectre; February 3, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old February 3, 2009, 04:52 PM   #3
maestro pistolero

Their ignorance is surpassed only by their arrogance. Every one of those LE's is but one little mistake or perhaps injury away from becoming one of the very citizens they ridicule and would oppress.

Will they never realize what natural allies they have in the law abiding , gun bearing public? I hope that soon, someone get a chance to save them from a good ass-beating from a criminal, before their backup arrives.

Actually, scratch that idea, after saving their ass, these particular officers would turn around and charge you with interfering with a police officers ego.

I am so glad most officers are NOT like this, But what the he!! is it with some of these Southern California agencies?

Hats off to he protesters for showing up and taking the high road
Old February 3, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
HarrySchell

Last time I offered to assist a LEO in a first aid situation I got such a dressing down I resolved wouldn't offer that officer help if she were bleeding to death on the island we occupied after a shipwreck, or anywhere else.

And yes, it was in Southern CA. Rose Bowl country.
Old February 3, 2009, 07:28 PM   #5
USASA

Well crap. Isn't the Sheriff an elected position in Orange County. If it is...get together and vote her out of office. :barf:
Old February 3, 2009, 07:30 PM   #6
USASA

"Last time I offered to assist a LEO in a first aid situation I got such a dressing down I resolved wouldn't offer that officer help if she were bleeding to death on the island we occupied after a shipwreck, or anywhere else."

In other words...You wouldn't p**s on her head if her hair was on fire.

One of my Step-Dads favorite sayings.
Old February 3, 2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Jim March

OK. Let's take this from the top (literally).

Sheriff Carona was corrupt. Period, end of discussion. The Federal charges against him include his selling CCW permits for $1,000 a pop. Worse, most of the deputies knew it when it was going on. Those willing to work for the SOB had to tolerate working under a "tarnished badge".

NOT ONE of those deputies can be trusted today. OK? I've said this before and I've caught flak for it, but it's true: corruption at the top has a corrosive influence all the way down. If you don't believe me, follow those links above and especially this one:

http://www.occcws.com/?p=542

It takes a firm hand to do a clean sweep once a department is this far gone.

These articles don't even go into the craziest event: sheriff's department staff spying ON THE SUPERVISORS:

http://orangepunch.freedomblogging.c...ervisors/6288/

This went public only because somebody on the pro-self-defense side did a public records request for the video. Only then did the sheriff admit the spying had happened, because it would be obvious once the tape went public. The sheriff did NOT take action against the spies until it was clear they were busted.

This is corruption.

So far, the OC Board of Supes has taken one welcome step: they've banned the sheriff's office from providing security at their meetings and contracted with one of the town PDs for that function. That's a serious insult to the sheriff but doesn't go near far enough. What they need to do is cut the sheriff's department budget to zero until first, she's gone and second, her replacement does shall-issue CCW. If that means firing every deputy while the department is broke, GOOD: better no department than a corrupt one.