The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 28, 2007, 10:35 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

Turkey question

Hey I finally got a bird this morning. My question is, is this a jake or a 2nd year? 3/4" spurs, or just a hair under. 8.75" beard. Only weighed 17.5 lbs, *before* field dressing ("on the claw"). My guess is a 2-year old, but is it possible a jake can grow a beard out to over 8" already, since the spurs and weight were small? Anyway, longest shot I've made at a turkey, at 36.5-37 yards - didn't hit him very well - he flopped a LOT until I wrung his neck. Gonna try to keep my shots under 35 from now on. Happy to have some breast meat though; time for some oriental stir fry!
Old April 28, 2007, 12:34 PM   #2
indybrad

Jakes (1 yr olds) have spurs which are usually 1/2" or less and are generally very rounded. During the spring season, jakes will range from having no more than a bump for a spur to a better defined 1/2" long spur like the one shown in the photo.

The 2-yr old gobbler has longer spurs (1/2" to 1") which are generally still straight and still very blunt on the ends.

3-yr. olds and older birds have the longest, sharpest spurs and they will also have some curve to them.

Old April 28, 2007, 01:01 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Perfect; thanks; yeah he was two - the spurs were kinda blunt.
Old April 30, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4
piercfh

When I look at turkeys in the field I usually just look for a strutting bird to determine if he's a long beard. Also they are allot bigger bodied, and will have a fuller fan. I dont think I have ever seen a jake through the glass that had a beard that would swing when he walked. Look for the big old snow cone head as well.

Sounds like you had a 2 year old bird. Like a deers rack and body weight though, a turkey's features can vary allot and not seem to fit together sometimes. Spurs are usually a pretty consistent indicator though.
Old April 30, 2007, 07:28 PM   #5
bcarver

beards

Beards vary as much as weight.
I killed two birds with identical spurs. one with an eight and 1/4 inch ragged thick wavy beard and the second 9 1/2" long curved slender even beard.