The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 27, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1
BlindMansBluff

Police Captain Shoots Son When Son Attacks Mother

Several questions come to mind when reading this.

1. Wouldn't the Police want to keep this stuff private?
2. If the son had or has a history or a pattern of Mental "Problems" is the right response to shoot him, why not call a chrisis team or something.
3. why is the son being arrested with chhriminal charges and not refered to menntal health professionals?
4. is the captain being treated special because he's a cop?

Tony Perry
Oceanside police captain's son arrested in attack on his mother
5/27/09 2:13 PM
L.A. Now
The son of an Oceanside police captain has been arrested on a charge of attempting to murder his mother, officials with the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said today.

Reginald Grigsby Jr., 25, a former football player at San Diego State University, was shot by his father, Reginald Sr., during the alleged attack.

Grigsby Jr. was attacking his mother Saturday night at his parents' home in Fallbrook when his father shot him to stop the assault, sheriff's officials said. The son has a history of mental problems, sheriff's officials said. Both mother and son suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

-- Tony Perry

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 27, 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
OuTcAsT

I will take an attempt to answer your questions from a layman's point of view.

Quote:
1. Wouldn't the Police want to keep this stuff private?
I am certain this is one of many things they would "want" to keep private however, since there was an arrest made it then becomes a matter of public record.

Quote:
2. If the son had or has a history or a pattern of Mental "Problems" is the right response to shoot him, why not call a chrisis team or something.
As I was not present, and the article does not elaborate on the details, I can only conjecture that the attack unfolded in such a manner that the officer had no other choice but to fire to protect the life of his spouse. The fact that both mother and son sustained only non-life threatening injuries suggests the captain may have been attempting less-than-lethal force to break off the attack.

Quote:
3. why is the son being arrested with chhriminal charges and not refered to menntal health professionals?
I would think that would be standard procedure for him to be arrested, and charged. If he requires a mental evaluation the court will most likely refer him to mental health professionals, either before, or as a consequence of a trial.

Quote:
4. is the captain being treated special because he's a cop?
It sounds like a justifiable shooting to stop the attack, but there is not enough information to draw a final conclusion based on the article. I would think anyone , LEO or not would be justified given the circumstances described in the article.

Sounds to me like everyone came out of this situation extremely lucky.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old May 27, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Wagonman

I agree, I would be leery of making any judgements without all the facts. I have friends with mental illness and they are two people on meds and off so I have empathy for this father and the heartbreaking choice he must've had to make.

After the last week can we not discuss the issue of what this father does for a living unless it becomes relevant.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

I third Wagonman and Outcast's opinions. With the given info it sounds like the cop was justified and showed very good judgment by (apparently) taking a less lethal shot on his son.

Man... maybe my family isn't so crazy after all
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old May 28, 2009, 11:04 AM   #5
KingEdward

he tried to murder his mother.

he was shot and the attempt failed.

everyone is alive.

could have been a lot worse.

Tags
cop , family , shoot