The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 26, 2012, 08:28 PM   #26
Major Dave (retired)

Whichever..

shoots best in your rifle, IMHO.
Old February 26, 2012, 08:40 PM   #27
Big Pard

I think the Accu-bonds are a little too stout for our thin-skinned whitetails. I'd give the nod to the "Ballistic" Silver Tips. The are the same bullets as the Nosler Ballistic Tips except with molylubdenum coating.

Last edited by Big Pard; February 27, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:58 PM   #28
publius

I like penetration, I want blood pouring out of both sides of the animal. Therefore I choose the Accubond. Yes, they are more expensive but how often are you going to shoot and how much are those bullets in the whole scheme of things. I loaded 50 Barnes-X bullets 20 years ago for my 30-06 and still have 3 or four of them. I fire my rifle once before the season to check the zero and don't waste them on coyotes, pigs, etc... Yes, I do have other guns I hunt with, but they would have lasted at least 5 years if that was the only gun I used. You didn't settle for a rifle that was $200.00 less than the one you have, did you? Don't settle for less than the best on ammo.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:17 AM   #29
sc928porsche

Silvertips have been dropping game for many decades. Its difficult to argue with success.
Old March 5, 2012, 09:05 AM   #30
Gunplummer

I have to agree with fatwhiteboy and Kreyzhorse. Every once and a while I pick up a rifle I want to use on deer once or twice and then sell. I don't want to reload for these guns and the poster does not either. Of the big three (Winchester,Remington,Federal) Winchester is usually the worst factory load of the three, but not always. You have to try different brands in YOUR gun and see what works best. At 10 yards to 150 yards good old factory bullets works fine. I don't buy those weird bullets even when I do reload. I have never had a Corlokt bullet fail to open up, or a Winchester silver tip either, but have had accuracy problems and expansion problems with after market bullets.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:31 PM   #31
LSnSC

Either one will kill any Whitetail dead as a hammer, provided you do your part.