The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1
bspillman

whats the market on this

Over the years i have collected over 200 rounds in spent factory brass. I have decided not to reload my own and was wondering if there is a market for this brass and what it would be worth if i sell it. Its mostly 40 sw. Thanks.
Old April 1, 2012, 01:47 AM   #2
gunsmokeTPF

A number of ammo manufacturers like Ten-X as an example will credit you for those casings when ordering ammo.

Last edited by gunsmokeTPF; April 1, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old April 1, 2012, 08:17 AM   #3
thedaddycat

You should have no issue as you're well below the daily "bag limit" on spent brass. Now if you're at 1000 rounds a day... You have several options on what to do with the brass.

As suggested above you may be able to trade it in against another ammo purchase from one of the remanufacturers. Years ago I bought a bunch of Williams brand reman. ammo and the guy at the shop asked if I reloaded and if not he said he would buy the brass back. I'm not sure if he reloaded or if he had an arrangement with Williams to help them get fired brass for their use.

If you belong to a gun club there may be a member who reloads (check with the pistol team guys) who may trade you some factory ammo or something else for it. You could just give it to a reloader friend, favors like that are not soon forgotten by the recipient and you never know when it will come back to you.

You could take it to a scrap metal recycler, brass is a couple bucks a pound but it may not be worth the gas for such a small amount unless you also had a truck load of other metals to take at the same time.
Old April 1, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Gerry

40 s&w is going for about $30 per 1,000 around here for mixed range brass. I've seen it as high as $50 for once-fired tumbled brass, but to be honest I'd never pay that.

So the 200 pieces you have are probably worth about 6 bucks or so.
Old April 1, 2012, 01:58 PM   #5
bspillman

Sorry I meant 2000 rounds thanks for the info.