The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Buzzard Bait

224 jackets from spent 22 brass?

I remember seeing this many years ago in a magazine article but bullets for reloading were cheap then. I just looked it up on line and found some info from Corbin. The equipment seemed very expensive I would have to make a lot of bullets to of set the costs. Has anyone, or is anyone doing this, are there other sources of dies that are lower cost?
bb
Old March 30, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Bart B.

RCBS was the first commercial company making tools and dies to swage empty .22 rimfire cases into jackets for 22 caliber centerfire bullets. RCBS actually stands (or at least initially stood) for "Rock Chuck Bullet Swagers" and was founded by Fred Huntington. They may still make dies to do that.
Old March 30, 2012, 03:33 PM   #3
ricklaut

There is a swaging sub-forum over at castboolits - lots of good information there. Look for the user "BT Sniper" - he (among others) has dies for this purpose.
Old March 30, 2012, 04:09 PM   #4
FWest

http://www.edgedies.com/

Give this site a look.
Old March 30, 2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Rangefinder

Quote:
There is a swaging sub-forum over at castboolits - lots of good information there. Look for the user "BT Sniper" - he (among others) has dies for this purpose.
+1 on this. Brian is an incredible guy to deal with and one of the experts in the field. You can also get dies to turn 9mm cases into .40S&W bullets, .40 cases into .44 or .45... He's been developing dies to make copper jackets in various calibers from copper tubing. Sky is the limit.

www.castboolits.com

Subforum is Swagging, and you want BTSniper. He'll be able to beat out corbin hands-down, and has amazing accessories as well.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old March 31, 2012, 01:41 PM   #6
zippy13

Rangefinder, http://castboolits.gunloads.com works better.
Old March 31, 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Rangefinder

LOL good save! I just have it in my drop-downs and bookmarks--don't remember the last time I had to type it in manually... Very helpful--thank you!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old March 31, 2012, 04:08 PM   #8
chris in va

Our range officer does this, makes 22LR cases into 223 SP bullets. Very involved process, slow...but very interesting. Doesn't save you any money considering the cost of the equipment.
Old March 31, 2012, 06:13 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
I just have it in my drop-downs and bookmarks--don't remember the last time I had to type it in manually...
Been there, done that. Happy to help.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:37 AM   #10
David Bachelder

This guy has some very extensive video on the subject. After watching a few I decided swaging is not for me. The equipment is very expensive and the return is minimal. I think I'll stick with buying premanufactured jacketed bullets.

See: http://ammosmith.com/
Old April 3, 2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

my retired tool & die buddy, & reloading mentor does this... made his own bullet molds designed around swaging the 22 case around it... think he does it for the others mentioned as well...

I suppose if you are a machinist, or a "dooms day prepper" it may make sense... but hard cast bullets are good enough for 99% of what I do... I'd question how much better they would be, unless in something over bore, but even then, would they be "true" enough to hold together at 22-250 or similar top velocities ???
Old April 4, 2012, 10:26 PM   #12
Stick_man

I bought some rebated boat-tail hollow points made from .22 casings about 20 years ago. They were zinc coated and shot very well from my .22-250 and my brother's .220 Swift at velocities reaching 4000 fps. I was averaging just over 3/4" at 100yds when hitting 3800fps. The Swift was just a little better when pushing 3900fps. They were pretty explosive on the song dogs.

Unfortunately, after a couple moves, I lost contact with the company that made them (James Calhoon). I don't know if they are still around or not, but sure would like to find some more. His pricing was about the same as most commercial HPs at the time.