The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Kilroy08

Reloading and Firearms Library

So far I've got the latest Lyman's and Speer books in my library along with various hand outs from powder manufacturers. I'm planning on adding Ken Waters' Pet Loads to the book case when funds permit.

What other books would be considered must haves?

I would like a copy of Sharpe's Complete Guide to Hand Loading for the sake of having at least on voluminous tome on the shelf. Treatises from Elmer Kieth and Jim Cooper are also on my wish list as well.
Old April 1, 2012, 01:53 AM   #2
steveno

"Hatcher's Notebook" & P.O. Ackley's reloading manuals (2 volumes)
Old April 1, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Jim243

Depends on the bullets you will be using, I like to get one from the manufacturer of my bulets, since I shoot Hornady the most I have their's as well as Speer's also the powder manufacturers have their's as well. Hogdgon's puts out a paperback that is about 9.95 each year and has a lot of good loads using IMR, hogdgon and Winchester powders. Accurate has a nice PDF that you can download and print out that references their powders. If you cast your own bullets, Lyman's 49th book is pretty much the standard to use.

Jim
Old April 1, 2012, 08:51 AM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
It's good to have manuals from the bullet manufacturers , whose bullets you are going to be shooting ! I have manuals from Barnes , Hornady , Sierra , Nosler and Speer plus Lyman # 46 & 48 . Freebies are available from the Powder Cos. too . It's always prudent to cross reference any data before loading , to ensure you aren't building a Bomb !
Old April 1, 2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Peter M. Eick

I have a full bookshelf 8 ft tall on reloading and manuals. It would be hard to get it down to a few but I would add

PO ackley's 2 books on reloading
Naramore' principals and practices...
Keiths books on revolver reloading
All of Speers, Seirra's and Ideal's (lymans) reloading manuals
Handoloader/rifle on DVD
Hatchers collection of books.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
jag2

If you want a lot of loading info get Lee's Modern Reloading. They don't sell bullets so there is no slant, they just compile loading info from others. I have the Lyman book and it seems heavy towards lead, I've seen the Hornady book and most of that is for their bullets. Lee's gives you the most loading info for the money but may not have a lot of "custom" loads if that is what you are looking for.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
sc928porsche

I use the bullet and powder mfgs. books. I do have my own library of load development. They are in "school report" folders with all the tested loads for that particular cartridge that I have loaded. I have my own development sheet that I run copies off and keep in a 3 ring binder that I take to the range with me. That days data is then transferred to the corresponding folder. Ive been using this system for 40 years.