The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 24, 2002, 08:19 PM   #1
rinoray

Remington 700 barrel replacement

I have performed several build ups on 1911s, S&W revolvers, and AR15s. How difficult is it to replace the barrel on a Remington 700 - 308 flavor - my first bolt rifle. Curiosity!
Thanks!
Old May 25, 2002, 06:21 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

rinoray, I guess it's a matter of perspective. For a gunsmith with the correct action wrench, barrel vise, chamber reamer, gages, a lathe then it's not all that difficult. You can get by without a lathe if the barrel is short chambered. Then the chamber only needs to be deepened to get the correct headspace and you can do this by hand. I wouldn't recommend attempting it without the other tools listed. A book that will help you is The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Barrel Fitting by John Hinnant. Brownells sells it. George
Old May 25, 2002, 05:17 PM   #3
rinoray

Understand

George,
It would be nice to have all the equipment you listed and all of the knowhow that would be required for the task. I'm gonna let this go to the pros.
How much to install a Shilen barrel on a Remington 700 action and bed the stock - ballpark (barrel supplied).

By the way the Colt pistol you worked over for me has been superb!
Thanks for the input!
Old May 25, 2002, 08:26 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

In addition to what George mentioned, remember that new sporter barrels have no sights. So if you want to keep iron sights, you will have to have a jig to set up the barrelled action so you can drill for the sights.

Jim
Old May 29, 2002, 09:11 AM   #5
Sumshooter

Why do you want to replace the barrel?

I know a gunsmith that guarantees 3 shots into one hole. He uses Remington 700 barrels and actions. For more information call C.W. Quier, 580-234-2200