The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 4, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
RawPony

Holster for Navy open top ?

I'm looking to buy a Cimarron Navy open top and am wondering who makes a good holster for it ?
Old October 4, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
fdf

Why not call Cimarron and ask them, they know what they sell and what holsters are needed, seems rational to me.
Old October 4, 2013, 11:38 PM   #3
9mmfan

Cimarron has a store in Fredericksburg. Texas Jacks Wild West Outfitters. http://www.texasjacks.com
I'm fairly positive their holsters are made by El Paso Saddlery, but with a Texas Jacks makers mark. They will most likely have one in stock.

I have one of their shoulder rigs for my Thunderer. Appears identical to The EPS 1879 "Texas" Rig, but without the wait.
Old October 5, 2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Kappe

I don't have a whole lot of expertise in holsters, but you'll probably need to provide a bit more information for the folks who do in order for them to help you.
What kind of holster you're looking for, what you'll be using it for, what your price range is, etc.

I made up a halfway decent Slim Jim-esque holster on the cheap for my 1851 Navy by taking an 1860 Army flap holster and just cutting the flap off.
The 1/2-inch difference in barrel length between the Army and Navy models isn't enough to matter. Pretty barbaric I know, but it works.
Dixie Gun Works sells them in both normal and regulation twist-draw configuration.
Old October 5, 2013, 06:44 AM   #5
RawPony

I was just wondering if anyone has had experience finding a holster for this style gun . Kappe , the only other information I could add would be that it's the 71/2 inch barrel I'm looking at in .357 caliber . 9mm , I think you're right about Texas Jack's leather being EPS re - branded . In fact , following your suggestion , I checked and they do have at least one model especially for open tops and conversions . I do like to have a good selection before I make a choice , so maybe fdf's idea of calling Cimarron is the best plan .

Last edited by RawPony; October 5, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old October 5, 2013, 06:55 AM   #6
MJN77

Quote:
the only other information I could add would be that it's the 71/2 inch barrel I'm looking at in .357 caliber .
Open tops don't come in .357. They come in .38 special/long colt, .44russian/colt/special and .45 colt/schofield. I have a nickled navy open top in .44 colt. I bought one of these holsters. Real nice work too. Thick leather and always liked carved holsters.
http://www.oldpueblosaddle.com/slim-jim-holsters
Old October 5, 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
fdf

RawPony,

I just came back from Texas Jack's. really nice folks.

When I was there, they only had a very few B/P pistols, 3 or 4. He said that when they sell, that there would not be any more until the end of the year.

The factory is on vacation this month.

Might want to give them a call if you are serious about a pistol.

There is a difference in the quality between Uberti and Cimarron, I like workmanship on the Cimarron, the cost difference is worth the money.
Old October 5, 2013, 08:02 AM   #8
PetahW

http://www.westernstarleather.com/gun_leather.html

Old October 5, 2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Captchee

For my 1851 that’s converted , I use .357 casing not an issue .
As to the holster . I chose a shoulder rig and had one of the fellas over on Tradrag make it for me . fits both my 1851 and 1860 as well as the 1858

Old October 5, 2013, 05:50 PM   #10
RawPony

Right you are , MJN . I've been looking at all the peacemaker clones as well and " misspoke " myself ..The .38 is the one I'm looking at . That's a good price on that Slim Jim , by the way . I haven't heard Old Pueblo previously . fdf , I'm looking at buying after my Christmas shopping is done , so it will be a while yet . Petah , those are some mighty fine looking holsters at Western Leather . Even some for my 1911 . And Captchee , whatever you paid for that , I think you got it for a steal ! Handsome leather there . I'd like to have something like that for a couple of my double actions . Any way , thanks for the input , each and every one of you .
Old October 5, 2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Captchee

if your interested , send me a PM and i would be glad to PM you the fellas e-mail address
Old October 6, 2013, 06:50 AM   #12
RawPony

Captchee , I will probably do that at some point in the next few months . For now , I need to deal with Christmas shopping first .
Old October 6, 2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Making a holster to suit your personal needs is not all that difficult. I have done it.
Making a holster that is beautifully crafted is another matter altogether. That takes real skill.
But, the one I made for myself is my favorite holster. Comfortable, holds well.