The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 13, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1
Mike19

Must I use a holster?

I have a Colt 1911 Government. The barrel length is 5" and the OL is 8.5". I never take the pistol out of the house so I do not have a holster. On July 1 a local indoor gun range is scheduled to open. I plan to go there several times a week (depending on availability and affordability of ammo ) to prcatice target shooting.

Assuming that the range has no rule requiring holsters, is there any reason I can't just stick the pistol inside my belt or waistband? I've tried it in the house and it seems reasonably safe/secure. I'm going to transport the pistol in a locked case which I will open inside the range.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:49 AM   #2
LivnInAZ

Re: Must I use a holster?

If you are transporting the gun in a locked case, why are you wondering if putting it in your belt is okay?

You should always use a holster instead of just shoving it in your belt. A holster will cover the trigger guard.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:47 AM   #3
JimmyR

If you are going to an indoor range, most will require the gun to be secured in some fashion. My indoor range asks that guns be 1) holstered, 2) cased, or 3) carried with the action open and locked back. Your range may have different rules, but I am guessing similar.

Personally, if you just don't want to get a holster, then I would carry the gun in a pistol box/gun rug. A rug can be purchased for <$10, and would probably be better for your gun. My LGS sells them for $4, and they can easily be found at WalMart, Bass Pro Shop, Cabellas, and other retail stores with half a sportin goods dept.

ETA: Almost missed THIS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike19
I'm going to transport the pistol in a locked case which I will open inside the range.
Why then would you carry the gun into the range, open the box, stick the gun in your waistband, and carry an empty box. Just keep the gun in the box until you get ready to shoot, take it out in the bay, shoot, and return it to the box. The additional handling of your gun seems unnecessary, especially in an open commerical environment.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Carry it in its case or a range bag. At the range, or any place for that matter, carrying a gun inside your belt without a holster is simply a bad idea. Accidents can and do happen when people fail to carry a gun properly.

If you really want to "carry it" at the range buy a cheap Uncle Mikes holster.
Old June 13, 2013, 07:26 AM   #5
RUT

>>is there any reason I can't just stick the pistol inside my belt or waistband?<<

Just put it in a "gun rug" and be done with it.
Old June 13, 2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Onward Allusion

Quote:
I never take the pistol out of the house so I do not have a holster.
Never say never. You may need a holster for the pistol one day. It is worth the small investment.
Old June 13, 2013, 08:34 AM   #7
JerryM

Get one of the latest Fobus Paddle holsters. It is not expensive, and I have used them as range holsters for probably 15 years doing thousands of draws without problems.
That is the way I carry my KT P3AT 90% of the time.
Ignore the critics who have never used one. I have over a long period of time and for several different guns.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

holsters....

Depending on the range & conditions(safety SOPs, # of people there, distance of the targets, etc) you can get by without a 1911a1 holster. IF you plan to tote the pistol around as you set up targets, clean up, load magazines, etc, then I'd buy a simple no-frills belt holster.
There are many many holsters for 1911a1 pistols. Basic designs include Blackhawk Galco Unkle Mikes Bianchi DeSantis .

A choice you may want to see is the Bianchi M12 or UM92II milspec holster.
It fits 1911a1 type pistols & can be worn several ways; regular cross draw shoulder drop-leg/SAS, tanker.

CF
www.usgalco.com www.bianchi-intl.com www.Blackhawk.com www.donhume.com www.uscav.com www.Safariland.com
Old June 13, 2013, 03:31 PM   #9
stephen426

Most outdoor ranges I have been to do not allow holstered weapons and certainly would frown upon simply tucking the holster in your belt. Those ranges prefer that you carry your guns in a case or gun rug and do not touch (including holstered) them while people are down range. If you have other guns and really do not plan to ever carry the gun, then don't buy a holster. I have plenty of guns I don't have holsters for.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Mike19

Thank you all for your replies. I've decided to buy an inexpensive outside the belt holster for now. Its silly not to have one.

Maybe later, if I can afford it, I want to get a vintage WWI or WWII Army holster for the 1911. Depending on condition, they're selling on eBay for $65 to $300.
Old June 14, 2013, 11:44 AM   #11
craZivn

Check out acecase.com, they're definitely budget holsters but better than Uncle Mike's in my experience.

Ivan
Old June 14, 2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Jim Watson

Check out the range rules first.
Some lane rental ranges do not allow holsters at all, they are afraid of patrons attempting a fast draw and inadvertently shooting something they would rather not.

The only one I have shot at any amount, I just put my gun rug on the shelf, open it up, extract the gun, load and shoot.
Old June 14, 2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Captains1911

Seemed to work out ok for Plaxico Burress...
Old June 14, 2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Yung.gunr

It's funny to see guys still asking if they have to have a holster. No dig on the OP, even my Dad tries to get away without a holster.

Regarding the OP, just get a cheap range bag or case for the range. Every range I've been to does not let you to draw from a holster at the line. Most will let you if you are LEO, but it sounds like you are not.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Mike19

I am the OP. I just watched a video on indoor range safety and they didn't even use a holster. The instructor brought his gun into the range in a carrying bag, put the bag on the table at the firing line, took the gun out and put it on the table, did his firing, put the gun back in the bag and then headed out for lunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvFyw-6Fqs&lr=1
Old June 14, 2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Captains1911

Nobody is suggesting you need a holster to be safe at the range, only you need a holster if you wish to safely "holster" your gun at the range.
Old June 15, 2013, 01:20 AM   #17
LRChops

I don't understand why anyone would own a gun without a holster???!!!
Old June 16, 2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Jim Watson

I don't know anybody who makes one for my Woodsman.
Old June 16, 2013, 01:27 PM   #19
arizona98tj

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would own a gun without a holster???!!!
A holster allows you to safely carry a handgun while having immediate access to the handgun. If you have no need to do this this, there is no need to spend money on a holster.
Old June 16, 2013, 01:30 PM   #20
jackpine

just go by a holster! It's not like there all that expensive
Old June 16, 2013, 02:13 PM   #21
ClydeFrog

El Paso Saddlery, Simply Rugged...

If you want a "old-school" or leather milspec M-1913 1911a1 holster Id check the websites for El Paso Saddlery or maybe Simply Rugged(Im not sure of the exact website).
Id prefer the nylon type M12 or UM92II holster line from www.Bianchi-intl.com but it's your $$$ & your pistol, .

ClydeFrog
Old June 17, 2013, 03:10 PM   #22
rayban

Amigo, down here we don't need no stinkin holster!
Old June 18, 2013, 09:20 AM   #23
WV_gunner

A holster could be handy if you're afraid to leave your gun unattended. But otherwise, it seems for your useage it's pointless. If you never attend to carry the gun, no need to buy a holster. There are no indoor ranges around here. I couldn't even guess where the nearest one is, so I have no idea about the rules. Only ranges I've been to are public outdoor ranges. Only rules are don't leave trash, don't shoot past the line, and don't have a gun loaded while someone is on the range checking targets. My personal rule is never go alone unless its empty. Many many years ago a guy was murdered at the local range by his own gun. The man stole his guns and his truck too, they caught him in Flordia. I do not want that to happen with me. So when I check targets my wife who ever is with me stays with the guns. If anyone seems the least bit sketchy we leave. I've also been on the range and people start shooting at the targets, even though they were informed by me that I was going out. They fixed their targets, got back to the shelter, and starting shooting again. That's a scare. I've also had people who just walk out on the range while I'm shooting without saying anything or even caring for that matter. One guy was about a second from being accidentally shot by my wife because he walked right in front of her while she was shooting. And he was an instructor of some class. He also stood in the middle of the range with his class for about 15-20 minutes. Way to ruin our range trip, we left that day early. Also seen guys standing 20 yards out past the line shooting at the 25 yard targets. Needless to say people can be very ignorant and some cannot be trusted. So if you feel unsafe leaving your gun unattended then by all means carry it in a holster if the rules permit.
Old June 18, 2013, 09:42 AM   #24
deepcreek

I have been to ranges that require that all guns be in cases and not be taken out until you get a lane and put back in the case as you leave your lane.
You can get a cheap pistol soft case for $10. or so.

I like cases and holsters because the protect my guns from scratches, dirt and other damage.
Old June 18, 2013, 06:32 PM   #25
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
Seemed to work out ok for Plaxico Burress...
Plaxico Burress on gun safety