The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 21, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1
shooter009

Polishing SS

I've got a stainless steel Pietta 58 and want to polish out some surface scuffs. Not scratches but more like rubs. Would 0000 steel wool work or will that make it look like a satin finish? I want it to be shiny not satin. Any ideas? TIA Robert
Old March 22, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Pahoo

ScotchBrights

I hope I'm spelling this right but for the finish you are trying to get, try some ScotchBrights. First try it on the butt and then progress to the more visible areas. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 22, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
blfuller

To get a mirror finish you will need to use a buffing wheel and polishing rouge. Scotchbrite will give you a brushed finish. Or you can buff it by hand with the rouge. Your arm may get sore after a while though.

NEVER use steel wool to rub on a stainless steel. This will embed small particles of steel into the stainless and will cause rust spots. Bronze wool would be better but it will not give you the mirror type finish you are looking for.
Old March 22, 2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Flitz
Old March 22, 2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Strafer Gott

Polish at right angle to the scratch, or you just might polish the scratch deeper.
You might put a belly in the surface if you remove material chasing the scratch.
An even mirror finish is difficult to achieve, and until the scratch is completely gone, a mirror finish will only add contrast, and might make the scratch appear black. Pahoo isn't far off with taking out the scratch with scotch green pad to a satin finish, and then buff. I have a PPK that i got for half price because of a very scratched finish, like you would get from carrying the piece naked in the pocket with your keys. The pad cleaned it up in a jiffy, and it looked so good in satin, I left it like that. The deal is if I scratch it the green pad takes it right out.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:26 PM   #6
shooter009

Thanks for the help guys. Really not scratches but rub marks so I'll try the rouge by hand and then a buffing wheel if needed. Robert
Old March 22, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Garycw

Polishing SS

The best I've found is SemiChrome. You can find at some cycle shops or ebay.

Sent from iPhone