The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 16, 2005, 03:04 PM   #1
shad9876

Remngton 870 problem with action sticking

i recently purchased a new Remington express magnum 870 pump 12 gauge. the action sticks in the closed position after shooting on occassion, more often with low brass shells. The breech opens about an 1/8 of an inch, but thats it. after fiddling with it for a while it will eventually open. when chambering and ejecting shells without firing the gun the action feels and functions fine. has anyone else had this problem? remedy?

thanks
shad
Old July 16, 2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

A number of people have reported this on pump shotguns.
General consensus is, it's ammo-related.

Buy a better brand of ammo.
Old July 17, 2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

If you haven't done it already, give the gun a thorough cleaning and lubrication per manufacturer's reco (see the manual) and especially give the chamber a good cleaning using a new bore brush. The preservative Remington uses on new guns can get sticky.

And definitely try a different ammo brand or three, most of the time this sort of problem is ammo related. Some guns just don't like certain brands/loads/lot numbers and hiccup on them, but do fine with something else.

Hope it works out for you with no more hassle,

lpl/nc
Old July 17, 2005, 06:09 PM   #4
InSoMNiaX23

I have had that happen to me in the past with my 870 Express when I used the Federal econo-pack shells you can pick up at Walmart. It seemed to me that the brass was expanding too much and getting stuck in the chamber. I have never had any problems using good shells like Remington STS or Winchester AA.
Old July 17, 2005, 07:09 PM   #5
9mmMike

A guy with whom I shoot had this happen with his new Express as well. Mostly in the Summer when we were shooting a bunch. He spent some time with some 000 wool on a dowel in a drill with some CLP and cleaned the chamber real well and he's not had any trouble since. Be careful to only polish the chamber and do not use anything too coarse or abrasive that might cause damage or alter the dimensions.
His always opened after it cooled down as well. In my opinion, your 870 should be able to shoot & cycle any bulk ammo out there.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old July 17, 2005, 08:39 PM   #6
shad9876

i agree with 9mmmike completely. i think a gun that is selective about ammo is unacceptable. i have tried both federal and wincester bulk ammo and have had problems with both, but more so with the federal. i will try the 000 steel wool.

thanks,
shad
Old July 17, 2005, 11:02 PM   #7
mathman

My HD 870 did the same thing and had since grown out of it...maybe it is a cleaning/lubing problem or maybe you just need to shoot it more .
Old July 23, 2005, 04:37 PM   #8
pmbiker

My 870 express did that with S&B buckshot. I now run it with fed, rem or win ammo and have had zero problems. If it wouldn't run with the domestic ammo, I'd send it back.
Old July 23, 2005, 05:02 PM   #9
Nnobby45

Ammo problem

Quote:
I have had that happen to me in the past with my 870 Express when I used the Federal econo-pack shells you can pick up at Walmart. It seemed to me that the brass was expanding......
Bingo. My Express and Wingmaster freeze up with that ammo. They're light target loads, but apparently at high pressure with flimsy aluminum "brass". One box may work ok, and the next may have numerous difficult extractions.

Try some Win. AA's and I think your problem will be solved. A friend's 870 has extraction problems, also, with some of the Fed. stuff he bird hunts with.

Last edited by Nnobby45; July 24, 2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old February 19, 2008, 08:18 PM   #10
fastlanedude

Don't buy cheap 12 gauge ammo

I had the same problem with my remington 870 express 12 gauge pump. I bought the gun at Sports Authority for 259. A bargain? The first time I shot it, the winchester 2 3/4 IN-9P-00B (with the small aluminum) wouldn't eject. I had to fiddle with the pump action to get it to release. I will try cleaning it and maybe polish the action.

Update! Ref. the following thread http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...xpress+problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7808.jpg (68.2 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by fastlanedude; February 19, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old February 19, 2008, 09:33 PM   #11
wgdavdsn

870 won't eject

Had the same problem when my 870 Express Magnum was new, back in 2001. Had it checked out at a Remington dealer; no problem found. Looking back, it may have been a combination of cheap ammo and the gun being new, but I don't know for sure. I don't think it ever had this symptom when I used Remmington ammo.

Haven't had any trouble since that initial season. Hope yours "heals" too!

Greg Davidson
Northern Virginia
Old February 19, 2008, 10:57 PM   #12
ACEGAMBIT

Had it happen to me twice in the blind shooting at passing mallards. Both times it was with Rem 3" steel shot from the same box. The first time I believe the brass expanded and jammed the shell in the chamber. Once I got it out the brass looked like it had been overheated... (too much powder maybe? IDK). The second time was a couple days later (and yes I had cleaned the gun ) using ammo from the same box of Rem. This time I noticed a massive flame from the barrel when I fired and significant recoil. When I got the shell out, the brass again was discolored, but more significant, the plastic of the shell had melted in the chamber. Both instances the shot was the first in the gun and I had not been shooting a lot prior so the barrel wasnt warm/hot (and it was snowing the second time.). I ditched the rest of that box of ammo (about 5 rounds left) and had no other problems since. The gun was not remotely new so I wouldnt attribute MY experience to factory lubing just a bad batch of ammo. The 870 is still the best gun in the bush or the blind IMHO and I would trust it anytime/anywhere.
Old February 20, 2008, 09:36 AM   #13
b.thomas

using a power drill........wrap some 4/0 steel wool around a bore brush, soak it with oil and polish away! should take no more then 5-10 minutes to do the job right.
Old February 22, 2008, 12:07 PM   #14
RoscoeC

I have used b.thomas' technique with good success. The new 870's come coated with some of the nastiest, gooiest, stickiest, gunkiest stuff I have ever seen. A new gun should be detail stripped and very thoroughly cleaned. That includes the bore and chamber. I have 2 fairly new 870 Expresses and I have done this with both of them. I have never had any problems with anything I chose to shoot in them. I caution against shooting the guns without cleaning bore and chamber first. I just acquired an 11-87 Premier that was almost new. It had what looked to me to be about 200 or so rounds put through it, but was apparently never cleaned. I haven't fired it yet, but I have cleaned it. I thought I would never stop bringing brown gunk out of the barrel. Clean, clean, clean and then lightly lubricate with an appropriate oil, then shoot, shoot, shoot. You virtually cannot wear out an 870. The more you shoot it the smoother and friendlier it will get. One of mine has several thousand rounds through it, and if you fire it without touching the forend, it will almost eject the spent round. Very smooth.
NRA Life Member