The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2007, 07:07 PM   #26
Anon

.45 ACP. Never clean (or inspect) the primer pockets.

Tumble after firing, the old primer comes out only a second or two before the new primer goes in (progressive reloader).
Old January 26, 2007, 11:14 AM   #27
USN_JWS

I use the lee tool thing to clean primer pockets also. It is just part of the fun for me.
Old January 26, 2007, 12:56 PM   #28
Edward429451

I clean primer pockets. I tried not to after hearing about testing guys have done...I couldn't not do it. Once something is ingrained in you and you try not to do it, it feels like you're leaving a job unfinished. Plus I don't like the possibility of high primers.

Obsessive/compulsive? C'mon, that's low. Us guys that do it could see you as having a half-a$$ed work ethic too Y'know.
Old January 26, 2007, 01:03 PM   #29
cdoc42

I have a RCBS electric device that allows you to clean the primer pockets and chamfer/deburr the case mouths. I forget the name of it and I'm not home right now. What I've noticed is crud AND brass comes out when the primer pockets are cleaned. I wonder if I'm actually thinning out the base of the primer pocket, but, then, the cutter is set to only go so deep. That makes me think that brass is flowing toward the base as well as the case mouth from resizing and what I'm doing is thinning out the excess brass. Any thoughts?

Another two cents: I only clean the pockets of rifle brass - I do not clean revolver/pistol brass
Old January 26, 2007, 03:49 PM   #30
Oofty Goofty

Obsessive / Compulsive is a positive character trait in reloaders.
Old January 26, 2007, 04:14 PM   #31
rickh

Yes I Do

I clean em all on pistol/rifle, not on shotshell.
I too see crud and tiny amount of brass but thats using the cutting tool and then brush. After the 1000 rounds I have have been reloaded once, I do not think I will need to use the cutter tool, just the brush. I am just as conserend with slam fire from high seated brass as with it looking good.
Maybe its beacuse I am new, but I want my brass to look like new before I start to reload it. Loading for mostly semi autos and only one bolt action 30-06.
Rick H...
Old January 27, 2007, 06:54 AM   #32
wilson133

Used to clean 'em, stopped doing it when my tests convinced me that it was pointless for me to do so. Anyone else can do what they please, it's a hobby not a job.
Old January 28, 2007, 04:39 PM   #33
44 AMP
Staff

I clean them

I suppose I don't have to, but I like fondling the brass!

I tumble before sizing, and again afterwards. I clean as I inspect each case for media in the flashole.

I used to use a progressive press, but put it away some years ago. I load in batches, and actually enjoy the process. Maybe I do a little more work than I have to, but I do it for fun.
Old January 29, 2007, 03:23 PM   #34
Peter M. Eick

Rifles? Every darn time. Just part of the regiment so to speak.

Pistols? almost never. (progressive press killed that option).
Old January 29, 2007, 06:06 PM   #35
JustSteve

I clean them also,definitley makes seating the new primer easier
Old January 29, 2007, 06:54 PM   #36
amamnn

I've always at least checked the primer pocket of every rifle, handgun, or shot shell I've handloaded. It can make a tiny difference in a long distance match grouping if you let the pocket just continue to build up soot. Eventually you get to the point where the primer does not seat right. Some powders and primers leave little gifts for you in there occasionally.

For casual shooters, the difference would probably never be seen. Those people who decap before tumbling should be looking in primer pockets and flash holes after cleaning and you need to inspect pockets of new brass for defects and burrs.

Certainly it will do no harm if you clean the primer pocket every time, and you may catch a problem before it starts.
Old February 2, 2007, 02:29 PM   #37
Williamr

Cleaning Primer Pocket's

I clean my primer pockets after depriming and tumbleing them. After I ispect them, I clean out any contamination left in the primer pockst. I tumble them for a couple of hours at least befor I inspect them.
Old February 5, 2007, 06:26 PM   #38
1tomcat

I try to always clean them, it helps keep the pressure more consistent when seating new primers
Old February 13, 2007, 01:48 PM   #39
WestWorld

I like using my RCBS handprime tool... it gives me a good feel for seating the primer. Since the brass is out in my hand after de-priming anyway... I'll mount the primer brush in a drill, clamp it into my bench vice, turn it on slow and clean 500 primer pockets in about 10-15 minutes.

The pile of black crud that comes out make me feel good ( kinda like itching your ear and finding that big chunk of wax on your finger ) and gives me another chance to inspect the brass before I load it.
Old February 13, 2007, 03:47 PM   #40
ECLIPSE45ACP

I do only when working new loads for best accuracy.
Old February 13, 2007, 04:28 PM   #41
temmi

I start with "uniforming" primer pockets... and I clean the pockets each time after that... with steel wool and over RCBS Pocket cleaning tool....
I also use my Deburring tool to be sure the flash holes are clean…
I’m a sick one…. Did I leave my oven on?
Old February 13, 2007, 04:37 PM   #42
sasquatch

I throw my brass away, both rifle and pistol, after being used 10 times. The primer pockets are usually ready for a cleaning by then, but I like my solution better.
Old February 13, 2007, 05:23 PM   #43
azredhawk44

I clean my .308 primer pockets and also make sure that they are cut to depth to avoid high primers or slamfires.

My 30-30 I don't... it's my sloppy plinker cartridge good for minute-of-soda-can, but we never try for MOA with her. High primers aren't likely to be a problem here, either... each round is inspected for this possibility and it just hasn't been an issue.

None of my handgun ammo gets primer pockets cleaned either.
Old February 14, 2007, 05:06 PM   #44
tharmer

temmi, I'm with you. Even if it makes no difference in accuracy, it makes a difference in how I feel about my rounds. When I've done everything I can, I just feel good about the reloads--I trust them--and believe that there is no way I could have made them better.

I think you did leave the oven on...I smell something.
Old February 15, 2007, 08:34 PM   #45
45Marlin carbine

I clean with a RCBS pocket brush my 'good' stuff, i.e. hunting and SHTF stuff with expensive slugs. my plinking/blasting rounds i don't but do check the pockets for excessive crud, have had to clean a few I suspected the primer might not seat right in or flash hole was cruddy.
Old February 16, 2007, 07:57 PM   #46
G56

I shot PPC competitively in the Master Class, we shot 38 special revolvers out to 50 yards. To shoot in the Master Class you had to average 95% of your shots in the 10 ring out to 50 yards, I never cleaned a primer pocket the entire time I shot competitively, or since then either. I never met a man who was capable of shooting more accurately than his pistol, the shooter is always the weak link in the accuracy department.

I don't clean primer pockets on rifle cartridges either, but there is a little fudge factor in that, the cases are lubed, sized, then tumbled to remove the sizing lube, so they do get a bit of a cleaning in that they are tumbled after the primer is removed, so there is some cleaning going on, but it's less than if a person actually took the time to do it. The residue from the fired primer won't cause a problem seating the new primer, it is so fragile it falls apart when you seat the new primer, and it doesn't really affect anything.
Old February 18, 2007, 11:57 AM   #47
flintsghost

I did that when I started reloading in the late 60's and still do on most of my ammunition. If it's .45acp practice ammo that I'm putting through a progressive then I just tumble it and call it good. If it's precision rifle ammo, I not only clean them but I deburr the flash holes and cut the primer pockets to uniform depth which also cleans them, if it's the first reload or load for virgin cases. On most of my other handguns, I always clean the primer pockets.
Old February 19, 2007, 09:45 AM   #48
qajaq59

Tired of that "cheap shot"

Quote:
Obsessive / Compulsive is a positive character trait in reloaders.
That's the first time I've seen the phrase "Obsessive / Compulsive" used in a sensible way when it comes to reloading.

Every time the primer pocket subject comes up someone uses that phrase as a "cheap shot".

Soooooo.... If you don't clean the pockets that's fine with me. Have all the dirty pockets you like. But get off the compulsive/ obcessive routine, as it's just plain silly.