The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Thesenator

Reloading 30.06 AP projos in .308?

Anyone here successfully loaded the black tip 30.06 AP projos into.308?

Did you have to reduce the powder charge to make up for the projo length so as not to compress the load?

Thanks
Old September 2, 2006, 04:18 PM   #2
lonniemike

Kind of, In the past, I have pulled black tipped 30'06 rounds to make up 7.5X55 AP's(it is an almost ballistic twin to the 7.62NATO-which some say is the same as the 308-well maybe almost). In my Sierra manual where data is available for both rounds using the same type powder and bullet weights, the powder weights used matched to the same vels are almost identical. If you could get all the powder in the 308 brass(approx 10% overcharge), you'd get an approx 20% overpressure. Not Good. Try working up from a 20% reduction of charge toward a 10% reduction of the 30'06. Be safe and careful. Work up and watch for pressure signs. A chrono would be a good thing to use also. 7.62NATO using 174grainers going down a 26" tube should give vels of approx 2550fps. How fast will NATO match loads go down your rifles tube? With the 30'06's AP's weighing in around 162-3 grains you might could go a little faster but the longer projectile does have a longer bearing surface!!!
best-o-luck
Old September 3, 2006, 06:48 AM   #3
Thesenator

Thanks, I'll work them up slow and see if I can borrow a chrono. I'm going to use a slow powder also, probably IMR 4064, hand weigh every charge and use new military Winchester brass.
Old September 4, 2006, 01:09 AM   #4
lonniemike

4064 is a med burning powder and an excellent choice. It would be fairly close to 4895, which is what I think I had in my black-tip pull aparts that I harvested. A good slower powder might be 4831. Any number of powders will do fine. best-o-luck
Old September 4, 2006, 08:44 PM   #5
pumpkinheaver

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do it so your just asking in theory right.
Old September 5, 2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Thesenator

Not selling it, not using it in a handgun, not using it in relation to the commission of a crime, not providing it to anyone else.....not worried about it. Just using up some components for target practice.
Old September 5, 2006, 07:10 PM   #7
VUPDblue

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to do it so your just asking in theory right.
It is perfectly legal. Centerfire rifle rounds of that caliber are 'armor piercing' in their own rite when it comes to 'soft armor' like ballistic vests anyway. Only AP designated handgun ammo is outlawed.
Old September 5, 2006, 10:21 PM   #8
lonniemike

Actually pumpkinheaver has a point. As I recall there are two rifle cartridge the Feds have said can sometimes be found in a hand gun and are federally banned. They are the 7.62X39 and the 7.62X51(308). These two rounds specifically and any AP pistol ammo is federally banned. I think the feds are looking mostly for the people selling these types of rounds and are for the people planning to do bad things with those types of rounds. I further don't believe the fed gov cares much about someone doing a little experiment or two unless it happens to be in a bank or someplace like that. Then of course there are any applicable local laws. best-o-luck