The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 3, 2015, 12:13 AM   #1
DruidKing

looking to get new/interesting rifle

So it is time for me to crack open the wallet again and add to my collection. I'm considering getting the POF Revolt. I can't decide if I should pony up the extra cash for the 308 caliber. I'm not a hunter, but lately I've been considering trying it., if that makes any difference.

I'm also considering getting something that is maybe a little bizarre, like the AK47 pump action rifle. I've already got myself the Troy PAR (which is really cool BTW).

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for some inspiration.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:09 AM   #2
hooligan1

.308?, How about that "Great American Battle Rifle" M1A, m14.
Old March 3, 2015, 07:42 AM   #3
RIDE-RED 350r

Interesting.....

May I suggest getting a M94 Big Bore and embarking on the hunt for components/ammo?? LOL! I have found it to be QUITE interesting!
Old March 3, 2015, 01:59 PM   #4
DaleA

Are you in a place that has restrictions on what firearms you may own?

That will factor into the discussion.
Old March 3, 2015, 03:40 PM   #5
crane550

Here are some to think about. It depends on what you are looking for, naturally. I really like historic war guns. Thats just me.

Here are some ideas:

1. Schmidt Rubin "Straight pull" bolt action rifle. Dead accurate, extremely well made, and super fun. You can get them surplus on AIM right now for about $400 out the door.

2. Mauser. Excellent design, fun to shoot, lots of historic value. $300 to $400.

3. SKS. A Chinese or Yugo SKS is a fun semi-auto gun. You can find one for $350. Try to get the bayonet.

4. Winchester Model 94. Surpassingly fun and accurate. Not sure how expensive.

5. 1903 Springfield. War gun, huge historic value, fun to shoot and practical.

6. Mosin-Nagant. Super cheap, can be had for $150-200. Good reliable gun.
Old March 3, 2015, 09:46 PM   #6
DPI7800

POF? No thanks not even if it were free. Seen way to many problems with their products to consider anything with their name on it.

You could probably find another product that is much better for the same money.
Old March 4, 2015, 04:22 AM   #7
kawasakifreak77

I watched a good friend of mine buy a $2K+ POF 308 that basically wouldn't function with any ammo. He eventually sold it at a high loss in frustration.

For that kind of jingle, a rifle better shoot MOA with my eyes shut!

I can vouch for the K31 Swiss rifle & it's very unique. Incredible machine work. Waiting on a crate of ammo now, which is supposed to be match grade at 50 cents a pop. It ran me $345 total.

I've got a very nice Yugo SKS in a war bring back stock if you'd be interested, OP. Dirt cheap to shoot & more accurate than I'd expected.
Old March 11, 2015, 09:01 AM   #8
jason.jardine72

M14 only using 300 RUM ammo instead of 308 and the only tell tale sigh is the magazine !! Long stroke gas tube billet titanium! !!!
Old March 11, 2015, 09:09 AM   #9
jason.jardine72

Action and receiver but allow for use in dirty conditions medium heavy chromium barrel chrome lined painted h.s. persisicion look alike kevlar and Styrofoam fiberglass stock looks like plastic upgraded iron sights hidden on side of stock input output water cooled barrel fittings and let me think
Old March 12, 2015, 08:08 AM   #10
zachattack2

I would say SKS in 7.62x39. Nice old gun that's shoots cheap.

don't get a Chinese one for cheaper and bad quality, spend some more money and buy nice quality Yugo SKS.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-sks.html .

I would get the most expensive one on the site cause it won't have cracks and it comes with the Yugo accessory kit.
Old March 14, 2015, 12:42 PM   #11
crane550

I would tend to disagree with the Yugo / Chinese comparison. This is just my humble opinion. On paper the Yugo looks better but from the many I have seen (I just bought one) I didn't see much difference, and the trigger almost always seemed smoother on the Norinco. Granted my sample only included about 10-15 SKS's.

That being said- the one I did settle on was a Yugo. Mine has the grenade launcher, and spear bayonet. But that had more to do with price vs condition for what was available.

For practicality the rocket launcher just adds more weight. It's cool from a history standpoint, but adds no practicality at all, which leads to to say the Norincos might be slightly more practical.

Just my humble opinion, I am no way an expert on these, I just like them.

Here is my new one:

Old March 17, 2015, 06:17 AM   #12
BoogieMan

If your looking for a fun rifle my vote goes to the SKS. As far as I know all variants are pretty trouble free. I have a Chinese one (think they are the worst) and its fun to shoot, fairly accurate 1.5 MOAish with cheap dirty steel case ammo, and very reliable. Chinese ones can be had around $300 and Russians around $450.
If your looking to drop more coin and get a better rifle then any of the Garand or its variants are spectacular IMO. 30-06 or 308. New Springfield, CMP or historic. Price ranges from $500ish shooters to about $5k on historical pieces.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 17, 2015, 06:20 AM   #13
BoogieMan

Quote:
don't get a Chinese one for cheaper and bad quality, spend some more money and buy nice quality Yugo SKS.
I went Chinese because of the chromed barrel. None of the YUGO that I found were chromed. Once you get past the fact that its made in China (all SKS are commy weapons) the quality is actually quite good.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown