The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 6, 2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Cowboy action... Ok... just how bad were you on your 1st try ???

I'm almost embarassed to put up my 1st results... but I guess since I improved quite a bit ( I'm only competeing against myself ) the 2nd time... I'll post how badly I shot the 1st time...

I'm starting a spread sheet to mark my progress... I'm currently keeping track of how many stages, how many misses, how many proceadurals, & what my total time was...

anything else I should keep track of for personal growth ??? thought about keeping track of how many shooters, but don't think that should matter to my scores & or growth as a shooter in this venue...

OK... I've worked up my nerve... here is that ugly starting point for me...

on my 1st shoot... I shot 6 stages... had 11 misses... 1 proceadural ( shooting targets in the wrong order ) & had a total time of 552.21 seconds

2nd shoot I shot 6 stages... had 6 misses... 0 proeadurals & a total time of 430.05 seconds

BTW... misses add 5 seconds to your time, & proceadurals add 10 seconds to your times

next shoot hope to get much better as I've been working of techniques to speed up both my revolver & my lever action shooting, & hope to continue to cut the misses down... suprisingly... I'm perfect with the shotgun both dates... though I really need to find some more smooth shells I have some reduced recoil shells with ribs, & those seem to stick in the chambers more & add alot more time to my overall... my 1st time there were 49 shooters, & I placed 49th over all... the 2nd time there was 59 shooters & I placed 57th over all... though my ranking with other shooters isn't as important as seeing improvements in my times each time...

so anyone else that didn't start out strong care to expose how they did starting out ??? & maybe how they improved over the year (s)

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 6, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Hardcase

I don't remember what my starting times were, but they were pretty bad. My downfall was the shotgun stage. Actually, it still is. I use an 1897 and I still have a time reloading. I'm probably my own worst enemy - I know in my head that I should just go as fast as feels comfortable, but when the buzzer sounds, I push it a little more and usually end up dropping a shell or jamming up the action...or both. And sometimes more than once. And, yeah, misses...I do that, too.

Since I only do CAS shoots a couple of times a year, I don't really get any better. But I don't go out there for the competition - I just have fun with the nice folks at the range.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

There are a couple guys that compete nationally that are members at this range... the one guy was having problems with his race tuned lever gun... & took it apart & changed out some parts... the next stage I swear he was using a full auto rifle

that same guy uses a pump shot gun & loads one at a time & can shoot 4 rounds faster than I can load 2 shells in my double... which my double is a super nice shape antique double I cut the barrels to 21"... I could probably polish the chambers & lighter the hammer springs ( which are really stiff ) but I'll worry about the race gun stuff after I get the shooter's mechanics down some... I was really suprised how well I've been shooting the shotgun, since I'm not a shotgun shooter at all...
Old September 6, 2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Lee McNelly

1st attempt

swinging shotgun target blu it to pieces w 97 twice
poppers kept popping up like as if on springs all of them got to be confusing thought i had to shot till they died
Old September 6, 2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Tanker6

I don't really remember what my first total time score was, but I don't think I shot a stage faster than 70 seconds or so. I don't see your scores as being totally out of line for a new shooter. You'll get better.

My suggestion is to focus on one thing at a time. If you think your biggest killer of time is the shotgun, then work on that before your next shoot. Get some dummy rounds (I load mine myself with rice instead of shot and either a spent primer or I found some neat rubber stuff that I've stuffed in the primer hole so the firing pin has something to bang against with hurting it) and practice loading. Practice pulling two rounds from your belt, just as you would at a shoot, and throwing them in there/ejecting them.

If you're biggest time killer is pistols, then practice (dry firing) pulling them and acquiring your front sight on targets. I use pictures on my dresser as targets as I stand in front of my bed. Others I know use sticky notes. It doesn't matter. You can get much smoother at the operation of your guns by simply dry firing and working on getting the gun into action and making it work.

Once you start to get the hang of operating your guns, then you'll want to start working on the transitions from one gun to another. For instance, pull and fire each pistol, then as you put away the last pistol, have your right hand (assuming your right handed) free to pick up the rifle. There's tons of books and online stuff that can help you in this area. Once you've got the operation of the guns down, transitions from one to another will become the place you'll cut the most time. However, it will take a while to get the operation of the guns down, so just practice and enjoy the journey.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:41 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

well trying to evaluate my performance... the 1st time... the misses & the procedural cost me 65 seconds... that's clearly a big handicap to overcome... so next time even if I slow each stage down, I want to try to shoot clean...

also I didn't have a shot shell pouch... I was using a small leather belt bag I had, that held 8 shells... which of course I fumbled around with quite a bit being in a hurry & new at the game... I ordered one that holds 8 shells in pairs, & hope that'll take 5-6 seconds off each stage
Old September 6, 2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Shotgun693

I had a great time on my first shoot. I'm not a gamer and my guns are about what you could have bought across the counter at that time. I shoot full power loads. When it stops being fun I'll go do something else.
Old September 6, 2011, 11:46 PM   #8
blve

First thing don't get down on yourself we all started somewhere. Nobody started and won first time out so relax. Second best place to learn is at matches or practices. Generally somebody will help you out and give you pointers. You can't see yourself making mistakes and getting advice from shooters that have been there done that is gold.
Old September 7, 2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Carolina Cowboy

total time for first shoot

My first shoot was in March 2010 ,first 3 shoots were around 477 for 5 stages with double digit misses.., shot Michigan State range War in Sept that year, had 477 total time for 10 stages with 8 misses and 2 P's, finished 177th, this year got times in the mid 20's......just finished Range War again, and shot 305 with 3 misses, finished 57th....takes time and Practice, practice, practice .....but it was fun on my first day, and it is fun now
Old September 7, 2011, 10:13 AM   #10
byronw999

I go by 2 rules in CAS

1. Be Safe
2. Have FUN!!

Anything and everything else is just gravy...

I shoot Frontier Cart. Duelist... Make a lot of smoke and have a great time..

Byron aka Grumpy Grampa
Old September 7, 2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Hawg

Lets not talk about that.
Old September 7, 2011, 12:58 PM   #12
Carolina Cowboy

Plus one to byronw99999
Old September 8, 2011, 12:16 AM   #13
Jbar4Ranch

I went through my "shoot as fast as I can" phase about a decade back, and have been migrating to more authentic style guns & ammo. This past weekend, I shot a 7 shot 56-50 Spencer carbine w/black powder, a single shot 12g w/black powder, and 255 grain Warthog black powder .45 Colt New Vaqueros gunfighter style... I finished 22nd out of 23 with 1 miss and a total time of 592.37. My best stage was 86.45, which I believe is a new personal record when shooting this combination.

SASS 47015
Old September 8, 2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

Got my shotgun belt loop the other day... looks like that will work much "faster" than my leather belt box I was using before...

practiced a little last night using two hands with the off hand cocking the hammer on the revolvers... I'm still having trouble not releasing the trigger ( hand coordination ) which is what happened the 1st match when I tried that method... which caused several misses, & nearly one over the berm ( which is a match DQ ) so I want to make sure that doesn't happen... I might need to practice that method more before using live ammo again

this week I'll be working more on my cart... about 10-12 years ago I made an extremely primitive looking wagon, with solid wooden wheels, used hidden screws, & square nails, wooden axels, & rough cut lumber that I pulled from a trailer that had been stored for a long time, & alot of the wood had been chewed up by varmints... it was the closest thing I had to a cart, so I added a rifle rest & used it the 1st two times... the guys were ribbing me about using my "Flintstone wagon"... well, my wooden wheels are splitting along the grain, so I'm switching to a plastic spoked wheel & steel axels... don't need a broken wheel shooting this weekend ( workers weekend, testing out all 12 stages before the state championships in 2 weeks )... need to travel more around the range shooting 12 stages...

... also need to spend some more time on the bench, as I don't have enough 45 Colt loaded for 24 stages in the next 2 weeks... but at least I'll get some more practice ( alot ), in the next two weeks

BTW... I added a "shots fired" space on my spread sheet & break down the pistol rifle & shot gun, I did this because on the 1st one I shot, there was a 6 shot shotgun part on one stage... & reading the stages from last years state match there was one stage that the shooter had to add 2 cartridges to the rifle, that already had 8 rounds loaded... hope they don't do that again... I have a hard time stuffing the lil 38's in my loading gate with my big mits... might have to get a 45 Colt later & pass down my 38 if Mrs Magnum decides she wants to shoot next year... I think I'd find it easier to load with my big fingers... anyway, not every stage seems to have 10 handgun, 10 rifle, & 4 shotgun so the new section will better show what I actually shot

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 8, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old September 12, 2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

Shot the Clubbers state championship course last Saturday ( OBTW... joined SASS I'm now "Leadin MyGun" ) club members all had to shoot the week before, since it's too much to work & shoot... wasn't any advantage... we shot 12 stages in one day... started early, & finished late... hot, humid, & not much shade... I bet alot of the shooters could have shot better times with it split over 2 days rather than killing ouselves doing it in one day...

dispite the long day, my times were better still & my misses less in 12 stages, than the previous weeks 6 stages...

got an equipment question or two...

1st... the tie down straps for your holsters... is there a secret there for keeping them up ??? I've tried both pretty tight, & pretty loose... last shoot I shot with them hanging, & only had a couple times that I had to press in while drawing for them to stay in place...

2nd... those speed loaders for the lever actions... I looked at a couple of them, then did an internet search... I see some clear ones for sale, but those don't look very cowboy... so I bought a couple brass tubes, & think I'll make my own... anyone else do that & offer any tips or thoughts about them ??? I think if my rifle was in 45, I'd be OK, but the smaller gate on the 38, leaves me stuffing my final round with my little finger, to get it in past the gate

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 12, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:40 AM   #16
Noz

Let's put it this way.

My times now average about 25 seconds/stage less than they did 5 years ago.

I hope in another couple of years I may become competitive.

But since I shoot Frontiersman, that may never happen.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:54 AM   #17
Tanker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Wheel Man
got an equipment question or two...

1st... the tie down straps for your holsters... is there a secret there for keeping them up ??? I've tried both pretty tight, & pretty loose... last shoot I shot with them hanging, & only had a couple times that I had to press in while drawing for them to stay in place...

2nd... those speed loaders for the lever actions... I looked at a couple of them, then did an internet search... I see some clear ones for sale, but those don't look very cowboy... so I bought a couple brass tubes, & think I'll make my own... anyone else do that & offer any tips or thoughts about them ??? I think if my rifle was in 45, I'd be OK, but the smaller gate on the 38, leaves me stuffing my final round with my little finger, to get it in past the gate.
Tie down straps. Hmmmm, can't help you there. I think (but I may be wrong) that the only category that has those is B-Western which I don't shoot. If the issue is your holster wanting to come up when you draw the pistol, then you'll need to form your holster to your pistol. I've read several ways to do this. You can probably find a thread on it (search the archives) on sassnet.com in the sasswire forum. At any rate, here's how I do it (which may not be the best way, but so be it): I thoroughly wet down the holster by soaking it in water. Then, I wrap my pistol in plastic or Saran Wrap and stuff it in the holster. Let it set for several hours (I normally did mine overnight). Remove the pistol and make sure it's dry (the plastic will, at some point start to allow moisture in). If not, dry it off and clean it properly. This will help your holster fit your pistol better. It will not only sit in there better, but it will also come out more easily. Many (me included) use tennis balls (I use racket balls) in the tops of the hosters to help "flair" them out a bit for ease in reholstering.

Speed loaders. I don't use them, but have a good shootin' pard that does. It depends on the rifle, but if you're having a problem with the last round, that will normally mean that you're getting toward the end of the max amount that will load. That's typical....especially on a '92 (which I own and use as a back up now). I just load the "normal" way which I'd like to think keeps me in practice for those "load one on the clock" stages, but who knows.

Hope some of this helps.

And don't let Noz fool you. He gets a lot "hits" counted cuz he generates so much smoke that the counters can't tell whether he hit it or not.

Not to hijack, but I bought me a hammered double a couple of weeks ago, Noz. Now I just need a couple of '51's and I'll bet set to start my "career" in Frontiersman. Maybe next summer.....

Tanker6 a/k/a Chickahominy Charlie
Old November 1, 2011, 01:58 PM   #18
Grizhicks

Not really as bad as it could have been; just finished my first season, having shot 5 matches. For the record, I'm shooting Frontiersman, and using: 1860 Armys (Uberti clones); 1866 Winchester in 45 Colt (also a Uberti clone); and a 'mule ear' shotgun (1922 Husky, SxS, 12 gauge).

7/16/11 -- 6 stages (raw time of 483.59 & 6 misses) = 85.6 average
8/20/11 -- 6 stages (raw time of 426.38 & 9 misses) = 78.6 average
9/16/11 -- 6 stages (raw time of 373.58, 9 misses & 1 P) = 71.43 average
10/8/11 -- 5 stages (different club; total time of 372.33) = 74.5 average
10/29/11 -- 6 stages (raw time of 341.45, 3 misses & 1 P) = 61.1 average

And 1 miss on 10/29 was no powder under the ball; knew it was bond to happen sooner or later.

The wife (Leather anne Pearls) shot 2 matches; and we both had a BLAST !!!

Also, we went down to watch part of the KY-TN BP match; and I want to THANK 'Noz' taking time-out and instilling some of his wisdom.

Later, Grizhicks
Old November 1, 2011, 02:21 PM   #19
Magnum Wheel Man

as long as Griz revised this thread, I thought I'd post how I improved...

Quote:
I shot 6 stages... had 11 misses... 1 proceadural ( shooting targets in the wrong order ) & had a total time of 552.21 seconds

2nd shoot I shot 6 stages... had 6 misses... 0 proeadurals & a total time of 430.05 seconds
my last shoot ( 5th of the season )... shot 6 stages, zero misses, zero proceadurals & a total time of 329.93, with around 15-20 seconds used up with a rifle issue... 1st round came out kinda crooked, & wouldn't lift at the gate... don't know if it had a burr or something brass or lead shaving got into my magazine... but after futzing with it , I finally got the cartridge to chamber, & the gun worked great the rest of the match ???

anyway, I cut 10 seconds off of my stage averages each shoot until this last one, which was still an improvement, just not a 10 second average...

can't wait till next year to see what will happen...

BTW... I added a lot more style points, with addition of spurs, & chinks, & cowboy cuffs, may switch to classic cowboy next year, if the MRS starts shooting, & forces me to get a 45 Colt lever, so she can use my 38 / 357
Old November 2, 2011, 06:37 AM   #20
Grizhicks

MWM -- Way to go on the improvement !!!! After having FUN, the main thing for me this first season was self-improvement; shooting C&B, I know I'll never win, but having fun and all the smoke is good for some "style points". Keep having fun, and good luck next season. -- Grizhicks
Old November 2, 2011, 07:06 AM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm really having fun... & I'm only competeing against myself... I did up a spread sheet to keep track of my numbers... got my 1st clean shoot certificate the last shoot of the year, & it was my goal to get one this year...

even though there are less shooters in classic cowboy than in 49'ers, the number of shooters ( or my placement ) isn't important to me... I just though I should dress the part ( cowboy ) if I'm cowboy action shooting, so as my "outfit" progresses, I'll probably switch to a more "cowboy" class

I'll be trying to get my wife outfitted for next year... I already have an extra double barrel, & one Single Six in 32 Mag, so I need to find another 32 mag, & will probably try to come up with a 45 Colt lever gun for me, & pass her down my engraved 38... next will be girls outfits