The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 15, 2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

I need some help --- Who is the best 22 shooter?

I can use some help today in settling a competition.

This morning a debate started in our family by my 12 year old son asking who was the best 22 rifle shot in the family. It started as a family friendly conversation with everyone claiming to be number one, Queen of the 22, Master of Precision, or as my son put it nothing can stop him when he is on the range. According to him he becomes the Zen Master over all the elements, rifle, scope, ammunition and the wind. Fortunately his comment would push mom over the edge and she screams downstairs boys pick out your favorite 22, Dad let’s pack up and head to the range and settle this score once and for all. It is always a fantastic day when you and the family can settle a score and have a great day of family competition on range.

I have posted pictures of the targets here.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=4608

For those that have read my website know that I have no advertisements and get no benefit from anyone visiting as it is just my way of sharing or giving back to the community. I was not intending to post anything, but my wife and son insisted and said we should let the readers decide. If you would leave a comment letting us know what you think as I am sure my son would get a kick out of it.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; March 15, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old March 15, 2015, 08:03 PM   #2
SARuger

I will be diplomatic and say that you are all good shots and I would share a foxhole with any of the three.
Old March 15, 2015, 08:26 PM   #3
The Verminator

Interesting and entertaining.

Thanks!
Old March 15, 2015, 08:52 PM   #4
taylorce1

Can't let the kids win ever! However, if we had a range day like that and my daughter took it seriously she'd stomp my butt into the ground. Rifle or pistol it doesn't matter my daughter has a gift.
Old March 16, 2015, 07:54 AM   #5
precision_shooter

Looks like a great time was had by all, by and far, that is the most important thing.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 16, 2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Picher

The last few targets were better, but bench setups seem kinda shaky.

Front and rear stable rests can make a big difference in benchrest accuracy. It's amazing that Zenmaster could shoot as well as he did on the final target, given the pile of bags he was shooting from.

I used to be the same way, until I got benchrest "religion". However, plinking is always more fun than bench shooting, especially shooting steel targets.
Old March 16, 2015, 12:28 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

If you're smart you'll say it's Mrs.Leo45. When mom's happy everybody is happy. snicker.
Old March 17, 2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Picher

I dodged the question and continue to do so.
Old March 17, 2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Mr.RevolverGuy

Agreed O'Heir
Old March 19, 2015, 10:37 AM   #10
Waspinator

I would have said that you were.... BUT....Going by the very last target, I would have to say that the "Zen Master" takes the day. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

"Alas, the student has surpassed the teacher"

Old March 19, 2015, 11:00 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

as much as I like the aspect of a takedown 10-22... I question their ability to shoot as accurately as a good fixed barrel gun... ( so... Zen just chose poorly, IMO )

I think if all used "dad's rifle" to shoot the most accurate of the group... "junior" may end up being the real "Zen Master"

trouble with parenting... is it's easy to beat the kids when they are little, but by the time they get the age of the OP's son, their eyes are better, & suddenly we find ourselves relying on experience & treachery to beat the youth

nice write up... enjoyed reading it
Old March 19, 2015, 01:03 PM   #12
CowTowner

Quote:
suddenly we find ourselves relying on experience & treachery to beat the youth
And this is wrong.......... How?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy