The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2001, 04:41 AM   #1
SLEIGH

Loading For 45 Auto Rim

Loading For 45 Auto Rim
NEW MEMBER, JUST BOUGHT MOD. 625-6 45 ACP. BEEN LOADING 45 YEARS NEVER LOADED 45 AR. AM SET UP TO LOAD 45 ACP ON LEE 1000. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN ADJUST ACP DIES TO LOAD AR BRASS?? DO NOT WANT TO BUY NEW DIES IF NOT NEEDED.

YES I HAVE MOON CLIPS AND SHOOT 45 ACP, BUT WOULD LIKE TO USE 45 AR FOR FUN SHOOTING...THATS WHAT I GOT IT FOR.

BEEN SHOOTING 44 MAG SINCE 1959 AND I STILL LOVE THEM.

CARRY 45 COMMANDER FOR LAWENFORCEMENT WORK BUT IT IS REVOLVERS FOR FUN!!!
Old August 22, 2001, 09:45 AM   #2
birdman

Yes the ACP dies are the same ones used to load the autorim. You just need another shell holder (Lee #13 I think). I have an old 25-2 1955 Model that I prefer to use with the auto rim brass. Loaded properly it will kill anything we have in Texas. BTW what part of the state are you in? I live out west of Ft. Worth. regards, birdman
Old August 22, 2001, 10:56 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

SLEIGH.......Welcome. Glad to see nuther wheelgun fan.
Birdman got your questions covered.

Sam...my favorite mousegun is in 9X32R
Old August 22, 2001, 02:22 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Another welcome aboard, Sleigh--

.45 AR is a lot of fun--You are probably aware that you can use any load in the AR cases that you can in .45 ACP, and in addition, use a lot of bullets not fully suitable for the auto ctg. I especially like the 255+ gr LSWCs intended for the .45 Colt ctg. I use Unique, and have good accuracy. At around 750 fps, these are a beautiful home defense load--controlable and quite accurate. If you don't mind adjusting your .45 ACP dies, you can put a nice roll crimp on the revolver bullets. If you'd rather not, a taper crimp still works well.

One caution: You already have a .44 mag, so there's no need to "magnumize" the .45 AR--The N-frame S&W is simply not as strong as a Blackhawk/Redhawk/Anaconda, etc.
Quote:
CARRY 45 COMMANDER FOR LAWENFORCEMENT WORK BUT IT IS REVOLVERS FOR FUN!!!
Same here--My doggy old LW Commander is on my right hip as I write this. I'm a Deputy Shurf a little NORTH of Fort Worth, myownself.

Best,
Johnny
Old August 22, 2001, 03:29 PM   #5
dntorbert

C.R. Sam:
This is a little off thread (ok alot) but what is a 9x32r? (Is that one of those special russian rounds?)
Old August 22, 2001, 06:10 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

dntorbert -
Unless I am mistaken, 9x32R would be a 357 Magnum.

Old August 23, 2001, 12:40 AM   #7
SLEIGH

LOADS FOR 45 AR

THANKS FOR THE HELP. IT IS NICE TO BE ABLE TO GET SOME HELP FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE "BEEN THERE".

DONT WORRY ABOUT ME "HOT RODDING" THE 45 ACP IF I WANT MORE I JUST GO TO A 44, WHICH I DONT SHOOT MAX LOADS IN EITHER.

I AM A DEPUTY ALSO, AND MY OLD 45 LW IS NOT PRETTY EITHER BUT PRETTY IS AS PRETTY DOES AND IT DOES FINE!!!

I'M FROM SOUTH OF SAN ANTONIO
Old August 23, 2001, 09:51 AM   #8
C.R.Sam

dntorbert...Preserve Freedom right.

Wheelguns are a joy for many reasons....one of which is the ability to digest such a wide spectrum of loads and projectile shapes. And often one of the tack driver loads for a particular gun is rather soft. Allowing for much fun without pain and noise.

Fun to start a newbie out with .22, then when they seem ready; switch em to a big bore with soft but accurate loads. The grin factor seems to just jump to a higher plane and they don't want to stop shooting.

Sam
Old August 23, 2001, 10:54 AM   #9
sundog

sleigh, funny you should ask just now, that's exactly what's on my bench right now. I'm with Johnny and his comments. I've been monkeying around with the two 255 gr Lee 45 Colt bullets and some home made lube in a couple of 1917s, a Colt and a Remington. Just nothing but puredeose fun. Those big bullets load really good in the auto rim cases. I've been using mild loads of Green Dot and 231. With the Lee dies you can adjust for ever so slight a crimp it makes a really nice looking cartridge. Boy howdy, talk about the ultimate tin can plinker! sundog
Old August 23, 2001, 01:40 PM   #10
birdman

I also use the .45 Autorim as a plinking/turtle gun. With a load of 4.5 gr of Bullseye behind a 230 gr round nose my 25-2 is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. My old Smith has been round butted to K-frame dimensions and bobbed to 4" barrel. Has a Millet rear sight and post front sight. When I want a little more power I use 6.8 gr of Unique with a 245 gr. RFN lead bullet. This load will do a good job on Texas whitetails at 50 yds. or less. regards, birdman
Old August 27, 2001, 09:02 AM   #11
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Hey, Birdman--

Lotsa years ago, I worked for a small police department where the chief was an excellent boss and a super human being but for one thing: He couldn't abide us carrying autopistols. I wanted the big bore so ended up with a Model 25 cut to four inches. I fitted a set of the old made-to-order Herrett's Jordan Trooper stocks. Shot a lot of auto rim loads in it. It was a superb sidearm for duty use but a touch large for concealed work. When I changed agencies and went into plainclothes, I stupidly traded off the big Smith. It is near the top of my list of "Guns I should have kept."

I really don't care for the newer versions with full length barrel underlug. If you take a notion to get rid of your round butted 25, get hold of me, huh?

Best,
Johnny
Old August 27, 2001, 10:11 AM   #12
sundog

Y'all didn't catch the mistake in my last post, and I didn't either until I just just checked this thread a couple minutes ago. M1917 revolvers were made by Colt and S&W (not Remington). My mistake. You guys missed a perfect chance to blast me. Anyway, Been playing a bit more with 230 gr RCBS Cowboy bullets (.454) and Unique and good results.
Old August 28, 2001, 03:56 AM   #13
SLEIGH

S&W OR REMINGTON

SUNDOG

I caught it but at my age I expect everone? to be a little mixed up

sleigh
Old August 28, 2001, 11:28 AM   #14
birdman

Johnny, yeah I like the N-frames especially the old ones. Will keep you in mind if I decide to get rid of the old 25 but have no present plans to part company with it. There's just too many that I've already let get away from me. Besides they just don't make them like that any more. BTW this weekend I picked up a pre Model 15 S&W made in 1953 in 95% condition for $150. I didn't really need it but what's "need" got to do with it anyway. regards, birdman
Old August 28, 2001, 11:30 AM   #15
birdman

J.G. , just noticed your from North Texas, I'm from out west of Ft. Worth. Maybe we're neighbors. regards, birdman
Old August 28, 2001, 11:41 AM   #16
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Well, birdman, don't be so shy - - -

I can't respond by e-mail if you insist on being secretive!

I'm in Denton. My e-mail is on profile. I'm in the phone book and AC 940 information.

Where are you (at)?

Best,
Johnny