The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 6, 2014, 07:39 AM   #1
rdtompki

IDPA "Load & Make Ready" Question

I'm going to give IDPA a try a week from Saturday. I'm in California so my max. magazine capacity is 10 rounds. What's the procedure for topping off the magazine prior to the start? Do I eject the mag after loading the chamber, holster my M&P, top off the mag with a round from my pocket, etc. Or, do I carry a fourth mag so I'm basically doing a tactical reload prior to the start? In that case ejected mag prior to the start would just go into a back pocket and not get used in the stage.

BTW, my only goal is to avoid a DQ. I'm really looking forward to skill building at other than a range venue.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:09 AM   #2
g.willikers

Assuming you just skipped a concept there, the easiest way to load and make ready is to use an extra mag for chambering that first round, instead of fumbling around trying to top off mags.
Then remove it and replace it with a normally loaded one, then holster the gun to begin the course of fire, always at the range officers command.
So, for IDPA you will need four mags, the three allowed for the stages, (one in the gun and two on the belt), and the extra one that can be loaded up and used through out the match, at the beginning of each stage.
And, as you say, put the one for initial loading in a back pocket or somewhere that prevents mixing them up.
Hope that all made sense.

Last edited by g.willikers; June 6, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:17 AM   #3
zincwarrior

1. The above post is correct and this is how .45 ACP single column shooter do theirs.

2. We call it the "Barney Fife" mag. So in essence you really need four mags if your max mag size is 10.

3. If you haven't done it before, be sure to attend the new shooter's meeting (tell them when you are signing up or signing in that you are a new shooter). Also tell them on your squad. They'll make sure you're not going first and will take their time with step by step.

This is a nice tutorial if you haven't had this before:
http://www.shilohidpa.com/Content/NewShooters.aspx

Welcome!
Old June 6, 2014, 09:18 AM   #4
rdtompki

Thanks for clarifying. I was pretty sure the 4th mag was the normal procedure. Of course, since I have a CA M&P I'll need a 5th, empty mag to dry fire after I show clear.

I'm going to be removing the magazine "safety" after this first competition, but I'm waiting for a second, non-CA M&P to arrive in case I flub the very simple mag safety removal procedure.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:25 AM   #5
zincwarrior

Wait why do you need a 5th mag? Maybe this is an interpretation difference.

When you are done shooting you
A. Remove the magazine (if there is one still in there I love going to slide lock on that last shot).

B. pull the slide and show the SO the empty chamber. Pull the trigger downrange ONCE DIRECTED TO DO SO.

C. Replace the pistol in its holster without a mag in it.

You should need 1) a Barney mag; 2) your mag you start shooting with; and 3) two loaded spare mags for a total of four mags.

I'm sure we're just communicating. Wait are you saying you can't pull the trigger after showing clear without a mag in the chamber? Thats interesting, but just use the Barney mag again. BEFORE doing so, tell the SO you have a pistol that will not pop the trigger without a mag in it and follow the SO's directions on that. Don't surprise the SO by putting a mag back in so they don't freak out (I've not seen one of those types of pistols in copetition so I honestly don't know how they handle it).

I would suggest reinforming the SO every time before you do so, as they may forget. Just remember, like da Mamma, if the SO aint happy aint no one happy!

Last edited by zincwarrior; June 6, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:31 AM   #6
rdtompki

I've got it now. The "Barney Mag" starts with one cartridge so after loading the chamber it can be used to dry fire after show clear since at that point it's empty.
Old June 6, 2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Yes, that is the way to go with a 10 round magazine disconnect gun.

A "Barney" with one round to get the chamber loaded at LAMR and then to get the striker down at ULSC.
I would mark it clearly, colored floorplate, probably, to keep it separate, also remember to show it to the SO so he knows it is empty at ULSC.
Old June 6, 2014, 11:55 AM   #8
g.willikers

It was my turn to skip a concept.
Never had a pistol with a mag disconnect, so it didn't even occur to me to include a procedure for it.
Sorry about that.
I'll reduce the consultation fee accordingly, of course.
Old June 6, 2014, 01:03 PM   #9
rdtompki

Really do appreciate the fast responses; my check is in the mail. The whole "Barney" thing hadn't occurred to me, not that as a newbie I really have an Barney-quality mags. I have a bullet-proof approach. After Monday's range lesson I'm going to experiment on my wife's 9mm M&P. If that goes ok I'll remove the mag disconnect feature on my 40 cal. If it doesn't go ok, well, we know how that goes when you mess up one of your wife's "things"

BTW, some claim that they can put a finger into the magazine well to disable the disconnect so as to dry fire. They either have really long fingers or they are shooting a compact.
Old June 6, 2014, 02:35 PM   #10
zincwarrior

An alternative solution: move to Texas. All our mags are "standard capacity" mags, and we don't understand the term "magazine disconnect."
Old June 6, 2014, 02:41 PM   #11
GJSchulze

Any questions you have can be asked at the match. Everyone will be happy to help you.

Personally, I just use my third mag to load one in the chamber, leaving it at nine. The maximum shot count for a single string is 18 and most stages are single strings. If there is more than one string, then you can have more then three mags. I have never run out.

BTW, IDPA is limited to 10 rounds per mag no matter where it takes place.
Old June 6, 2014, 03:32 PM   #12
zincwarrior

Correcto! Now in other locations with magazines that can actually physically hold them, many will run 11 in that first mag.

Its not our fault you old fart 1911 guys practically have wheelguns...
Old June 7, 2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Nick_C_S

rdtompki: Have fun.

IDPA events are easy going. And as long as you're erring on the side of caution/safety, you will be respected and will fit right in.

Mags?? I shoot revolver in IDPA
Old June 7, 2014, 01:55 PM   #14
g.willikers

How many revolvers are you allowed to carry, to make up the difference?
Old June 8, 2014, 02:00 AM   #15
Nick_C_S

Heh. Cute. My Safariland Comp III speedloaders, along with the chamfered charge holes makes for some pretty quick reloads. I like the challenge, actually. And walking around with a wheelgun makes for good conversation.