The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 12, 2014, 06:38 PM   #1
ColColt

JOC Tribute Rifle

I'm giving some serious consideration into the JOC Tribute Rifle and wonder if anyone can sing the praises or curses about this rifle. I don't want an out of the box rifle I have to tinker with or start wondering what to do about the bedding. Would this rifle fit the bill and give decent groups right out of the box?
Old January 12, 2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Mystro

Its awesome. "The best model 70 Winchester ever produced" says many collecting books. " The number one Winchester to buy for the new Century" says another collectors book. I did a detailed review of it and probably the only one that has actually hunted with one. Most will be locked behind glass never to be shot. Oddly enough, this is my prized old school "Mountain Rifle" even (though its not that light weight) and I just did a review of my new school fly-weight "Mountain Rifle" a few threads down.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529518

How is that for out of the box accuracy with over the counter ammo...

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; January 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM. Reason: remove red highlights in linked thread
Old January 12, 2014, 07:00 PM   #3
ColColt

Well, that sure looks accurate enough for me!! If the one I have my eye on does half that good I'll be happy. I'm a reloader and for sure I could do no better than that.
Old January 12, 2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Mystro

FYI....mine likes Federal Fusion 130gr and just about all Hornady SST and Superformance 130 grains. So good I doubt, I could reload them any more accurate.

This is a three shot group of SST.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 12, 2014, 07:12 PM   #5
ColColt

The one I'm looking at has the steel butt plate. It would be difficult choosing a proper scope for that rifle. I think whatever I chose would have to have Conetrol rings and mounts.

I was looking at the Federal Power Shok in 130 and 150 gr. Not bad for $19.95 at Bud's.

Did you find you had to do any tweaking with the action screws or did it do that well right out of the box?
Old January 12, 2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Mystro

The gun needs nothing. Its a turn key custom from the Winchester custom shop.

I am running rings Leupold with reverse front base to get my scope closer to my face. Had I done over, I would have gone with Talley Light weight rings. I have had two scopes on my JOC. A German Docter 3x9 which is in the pic above with targets and then I upgraded to the excellent Leupold VX6 3x18 firedot. That scope sets a new standard.

Old January 12, 2014, 07:20 PM   #7
ColColt

I have a pre-64 270 with a Leupold V3 3.5-10x with Beuhler rings and mounts. Of course, it wont shoot as well as yours...at least, I can't do it. The VX6 3x18 has to be a super fine scope and one worth considering for myself.
Old January 12, 2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Mystro

To be honest, the Docter 3x9 was more than good enough for all my hunting and you can see I shot the rifle well with it on. The Leupold VX6 is a different animal with its firedot. It gives you a marked advantage in low light. Its the top of the line latest evolution optic and I felt the JOC certainly deserved a top of the line optic. Keep in mind I hunt with mine but not in the rough stuff. I will use it in the field but can't bring myself to knowingly hunt in the rain or terrain where it will get banged up. This rifle is like owning a Porsche or Ferrari. You need a every day car or truck for the snow and crappy weather.

Old January 12, 2014, 07:30 PM   #9
ColColt

I don't know if I could get use to a fire dot. I've never had anything but cross hairs or a duplex reticle. The older you get the harder it is to change. I'm not much of a hunter expending most of my bullets at paper targets.
Old January 12, 2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Mystro

Use what you have then and save the $$$. It will keep a more traditional look to your JOC Rifle and won't take away from enjoying such a fine rifle. I know of about every one on the net that owns this wonderful rifle. They see my review and tend to look me up. It is a small but exclusive bunch of guys..
Check out the Jack O'Connor center and forum. You have to be approved to register for their forum but its the center of the universe all things Jack O'Connor. The JOC rifle is like that Ford Shelby Cobra you could have bought cheap in the 1960's and are now kicking yourself every time you watch the Barrett Jackson auction.

Old January 12, 2014, 07:38 PM   #11
ColColt

Matter of fact, I just joining that forum last night and made a post but it seems pretty dead there.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:48 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

thought I'd chime in... MYSTRO was singing the praises, & I had been wanting a .270, & have a lot of nice bolt actions, but no model 70's yet... my local gun shop had gotten in 3 of them, & by the time I got in there, they had sold 2... I was able to trade about $1,000.00 worth of 11-48's which left me only $650.00 to pay cash...

I picked mine up around Christmas... I too plan on shooting mine, but more as a sunny day range rifle, on my 300 yard rifle range

just picked up a set of reversible Luepold bases & a set of high rings... I'm thinking a Nikon Prostaff 5 in 3.5 - 14X

BTW... I'm also scoping up a Remmy 700 "100th anniversary of the 30-06" rifle, outfitting it much the same, but with silver hardware, as that is a stainless rifle... I've had the Remmy for a while, bought it used, but unfired, it never had a scope mounted on it... the JOC rifle got me motivated to get both of them set up, & I'm looking forward to trying to match MYSTRO's success in groups next summer

BTW#2... mine also has the rubber recoil pad, which just screams shoot me... so I think I'm going to have to
Old January 13, 2014, 11:22 AM   #13
ColColt

Quote:
the JOC rifle got me motivated to get both of them set up, & I'm looking forward to trying to match MYSTRO's success in groups next summer
Next summer?!! No way I could wait near that long. You'd find my foot prints on the ceiling. I went out a few days back to try some loads in my 270 and it was 44 degrees. Now, that may not bother a lot of folks but for someone on two blood thinners it's pretty cold... especially when you're out in it for an hour and a half but like the guy said in Dirty Harry, " I gots to know" what groups I'd get.
Old January 13, 2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

can't shoot it without sights of some sort... & a rifle of that quality, deserves some good glass... & my wallet is dollar challenged... it'll take till spring to come up with the $800 - $1,000.00 needed for glass for both of these rifles
Old January 13, 2014, 11:47 AM   #15
ColColt

I understand-that rifle does indeed deserve good glass, rings and mounts. Sure would be difficult to wait, though.
Old January 13, 2014, 11:58 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

the -50* cold, like we had last week, keeps me off the range a bit in the winter... but I was out & shot 3 pesky red pine squirrels for cat food yesterday ( they we antagonizing me while I was watching TV ) so I had to go out & pop a couple of them with the lil 17 Mach 2... so I do still shoot a little in the winter... as long as it isn't too cold
Old January 13, 2014, 12:06 PM   #17
ColColt

I wouldn't have even cracked the door with temperatures like that. Here in the South we seldom have single digit temperatures.This year was an exception with one or two nights -5 to -10 but, that's most unusual.
Old January 13, 2014, 12:27 PM   #18
ColColt

Well, I just did it. I bought the JOC Tribute Rifle I had been watching for the past three weeks. Many years ago I had a custom 270 in tiger tail maple that reminded me of the grain in t his stock. I had to sell that rifle some 22 years later due to a "reduction in force" at work and was out of work nearly two years and had to end up selling it. Maybe this one will ease the pain i never got over of having to sell that one.

Old January 13, 2014, 03:59 PM   #19
hooligan1

Mmmmmmmmm! those are fine lookin rifles, and according to those targets posted, theyre shooters too! Dang i want one...
Old January 13, 2014, 05:18 PM   #20
Mystro

Congratulations, thats a classy looking rifle. Ain't it great that it will shoot as good as it looks.... Now the wait begins. Enjoy the process.

FYI ...I broke my barrel in by cleaning it every shot for the first 10 shots. Then cleaning it every 3 shots for 15 shots. Then cleaning it every 5 shots for 20 shots. Try not to get the barrel too wam during this process. All you need is some patches and a cleaning rod and your favorite solvent or CLP. I used G96 CLP. I have broken in many barrels this way and all my guns are tack drivers. Does it make a difference???? Who knows but why mess with success.

Last edited by Mystro; January 13, 2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 07:28 AM   #21
Magnum Wheel Man

yep... very nice looking rifle... mine has more straighter grain on the right side, & then extra nice striping on the comb side... I have to assume that since mine was the 3rd of 3, that the other 2 had nicer wood... but mine is still quite beautiful, however the plainer side is the side visible when hung on the wall in my gun vault, so at 1st glance it blends in with the other rifles... once removed from it's hanging place, it's quite evident, that it's not your "run of the mill" rifle...

BTW... I've never "broken in" a barrel like MYSTRO, always more worried about damaging the bore with the cleaning rod, so I try to keep the cleaning rod out as much as possible... generally I'm quite happy with how mine shoot... but one can't argue with the way his rifle shoots... but it also looks like he knows what he's doing with the trigger ( I'm likely not as good a shot as he )
Old January 14, 2014, 08:03 AM   #22
globemaster3

The stripping on that wood is beautiful! Well done!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 14, 2014, 12:33 PM   #23
ColColt

I usually like to clean the barrel after a string of five shots. I've never cleaned one after each shot, however, other than using a blow tube in my 45-70 BPCR to keep the fouling soft after each shot.
Old January 14, 2014, 01:07 PM   #24
Mystro

I think my break in procedure is Weatherby's break in recommendation. Since Roy and Jack were good friends, I felt obligated to do it on the JOC rifle.

Old January 14, 2014, 01:32 PM   #25
ColColt

Unfortunately I never got to meet Jack O'Connor but did meet his nemesis (Elmer Keith)at the 1974 NRA Convention in Atlanta. I also got to meet Roy Weatherby and his son and John Bianchi. Bob Munden, quick draw artist, was there as well. It was a memorable event.