The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 5, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1
motorhead0922

Best shot I have ever heard of

Apparently, officer Adam Johnson of Austin PD hit center mass at 312 feet away, strong hand only, stopping a shooter with an AK47 and other weapons.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/05...crazed-gunman/

Quote:
Results from an autopsy are pending, but there’s no disputing the improbably accurate bullet fired by Johnson brought a safe end to the Nov. 28 incident.
Almost unbelievable to me. But my hat's off to him...
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old December 5, 2014, 11:22 PM   #2
rock185

Yea, while holding his horses with the other hand. Incredible! Just shows that sometimes the stars do align...
Old December 5, 2014, 11:26 PM   #3
TXAZ

Kinda hard to believe. Maybe the horses helped.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 6, 2014, 12:10 AM   #4
Barnacle Brad

One can never count out outhouse luck...
Old December 6, 2014, 12:55 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
“For a guy to keep his composure and holding two horses with one hand and taking a one-hand shot with the other hand, it says a lot about the training and professionalism of our police department,” Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said to the Austin American-Statesman.
Chief Acevedo is such a buffoon. I just read that he wants people to call his department and rat out anyone they know who owns guns and expresses hate.

Then the statement above. The shot may say a bit about professionalism, but it doesn't say anything at all about training unless the Austin PD trains to take one-handed shots at 312 feet. What it actually says a lot about is dumb luck. I suspect the officer just decided to lob a shot at the guy in hopes of getting him to stop shooting and hunker down. I'll bet the officer was amazed that he scored a hit.

Not trying to denigrate the officer in any way, just finding the chief's statements to be laughable.
Old December 6, 2014, 10:24 AM   #6
wogpotter

Quote:
One can never count out outhouse luck...
This!
I once shot an airborne fly exactly as it crossed the "X-ring" with an iron sighted .22 rim-fire at 100 yds. I kept the target with the fly's remnants stuck to it for years because no-one believed me so I could pull it out & show them.

Could I do it again? err, ummm let me get back to you on that.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 6, 2014, 03:45 PM   #7
jmr40

A bit over 100 yards. Certainly a good shot, but if someone practices at that range not impossible.
Old December 6, 2014, 05:10 PM   #8
dutchy

A very dear, long deceised friend (Adam Wagemaker) was national champion military pistol here in Holland. I believe he also was national champion military rifle.
He told me, and I have no reason to doubt it, that he regularly practised with a FN high power 9mm at 100 meters, about the same distance as the shot in Austin. Unless you know the basics of handgun control, you will not hit. If you do, without a little bit of luck it won't work either. So my guess, good training + a few grains of luck. Why not, everyone's entitled to some luck.
Old December 6, 2014, 05:38 PM   #9
jmr40

Quote:
Best shot I have ever heard of
Here is one a little better. 200 yards with a snuppy 38, and on film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk

Elmer Keith once killed a mule deer at 600 yards with a 44 mag revolver.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=34
Old December 6, 2014, 05:48 PM   #10
JWT

Skill?, luck?, or a bit of both....
Old December 6, 2014, 05:50 PM   #11
1stmar

No doubt there were better shots, however, under the circumstances and what I would say is a non-professional shooter (assumption) this is a phenomenal shot and shouldn't be compared to trick shooting. I recall a similar instance a few years ago. I believe it was at a trailer park, I believe a civilian with a 357 shot an armed man who was shooting up the park with an ar. Equally impressive.
Old December 6, 2014, 06:01 PM   #12
mete

Elmer said "the more you practice the luckier you get !! "

Shoot many Metallic Silhouette matches with a 44 mag , then you'll be ready for hunting .
Old December 8, 2014, 10:46 AM   #13
vito

Luck can and does occur, and maybe that explains this successful shot. Almost 50 years ago I and a friend, an Army Sergeant, went north of El Paso into the desert with a WWII British Enfield carbine that had never been fired (to my knowledge). I had never gone shooting with this particular friend, so I casually pointed out a series of power lines or telephone lines about 400 yards from us, held the carbine at the hip, and said "middle wire" and pulled the trigger. Sure enough, we saw the middle wire part and fall to the ground. This friend was dumbstruck, saying he had never seen or even heard of someone who could shoot from the hip with that accuracy, let alone that this was a jungle carbine certainly not designed for such distances. I should have quit shooting after that first shot and gone home knowing that I was to be a legend, but instead we starting shooting at tin cans at 100 yards and it was obvious I was not such a great marksman after all. I've never had that sort of lucky shot in the intervening 50 years!
Old December 8, 2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Bella

I am dumbstruck you shot a power line and kept on shooting.
Old December 8, 2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Daryl Waldron

....and Vince Lombardi also said "The more I practice, the luckier I get"
Old December 8, 2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Luck?

I really don't think so. He made the shot on the first try.

I do agree with AB that it doesn't say much about Austin PD training, not unless they actually train or provide instruction for long range pistol shooting. Most departments do not. More than likely, this officer shoots on his own.
Old December 8, 2014, 11:35 AM   #17
BumbleBug

I heard that after dog fight, several American pilots were floating on parachutes. The Japanese planes were making the rounds & machine gunning the helpless, floating men. One doomed pilot pulled out his .45 & with one shot killed the pilot & brought down the attacking plane.

I don't remember the exact details, but this incident is often called the best shot of the war.

IIRC...

...bug
Old December 8, 2014, 11:56 AM   #18
vito

I just love the smell of snapping power lines in the morning!
Old December 8, 2014, 01:21 PM   #19
g.willikers

And Hickok's 75 yard shot on Mr. Tutt has grown to 100yards in the article.
Old December 8, 2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I heard that after dog fight, several American pilots were floating on parachutes. The Japanese planes were making the rounds & machine gunning the helpless, floating men. One doomed pilot pulled out his .45 & with one shot killed the pilot & brought down the attacking plane.

I don't remember the exact details, but this incident is often called the best shot of the war
It is one of those unconfirmed myths of the 1911.
Old December 8, 2014, 04:35 PM   #21
603Country

Back when I was in college, the late 60's, I went to a public shooting range to check the sights on my Marlin 336. A police car showed up, and I was hoping that I wasn't the reason. Turned out that it was, I think, the local police chief, and he was there to shoot also. He had a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Magnum. He walked 100 yards down to the berm and put out some oil cans (back when there was such a thing), walked back to me and started shooting at, and hitting, the oil cans. He let me shoot the Ruger some, but I wasn't close to hitting an oil can (or a car, for that matter, at that distance). If that man had wanted to kill you at 100 yards, he would have done so. And he shot one handed.
Old December 8, 2014, 07:06 PM   #22
45_auto

At one of the ranges I shoot at we usually shoot .45 ACP's at IDPA targets at 100 yards (300 feet) about once a month.

Aiming at the head drops most of them nicely into the A zone.

Can't say that I've tried it one handed, but I don't see it taking a whole lot of luck to get a hit if he's a decent shot and has a little experience taking shots at 100 yards.
Old December 8, 2014, 09:03 PM   #23
1stmar

I shoot at 100 with a 1911 all the time, it's not hard to hit a 24x24" target offhand. However, there is no pressure and I'm not holding two horses, 1 handed working a service pistol. I also have multiple shots to get my zero if needed. Under the circumstances this was a phenomenal shot.
Old December 8, 2014, 09:08 PM   #24
JD0x0

Quote:
Aiming at the head drops most of them nicely into the A zone.
my thoughts exactly.
Old December 8, 2014, 10:17 PM   #25
Oysterboy

This reminds me about the neighbor who's 120-130 yards away from a gun fight between the cop and the BG. The cop was in a bad position that time that the neighbor took out his 357 and start shooting at the BG to distract him but he made a hit that brought him down.

Anyone remember that?