The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 01:04 PM   #1
willieboy71

New guy with a question

Howdy...I recently realized that several of my rifles and a pistol are OOP...and decided to update the spread sheet I send to my insurance agent..I also photographed everything this year..got me to wondering how other folks do this..I'm sure that i'm behind the times with records!!!

What do you folks do with regards to recording keeping/documentation??
Old February 17, 2013, 01:34 PM   #2
2ndsojourn

What's OOP?

I'm went through this just the other day with my insurance company. My insurance only covers me up to $2000 for theft of firearms unless I have a separate rider. In order to get insured for full coverage, each firearm must be appraised by a qualified appraiser recognized by the insurance company and listed on the rider. I'm waiting on a quote from my agent, but I'll probably just keep them locked up in the safe.

You would be advised to keep a list of your guns with serial numbers included in another separate safe place in case they are stolen.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:36 PM   #3
willieboy71

OOP+ Out Of Production....my insurance is similar except they take my word for replacement cost..advantage of growing up with my agent!!!
Old February 18, 2013, 12:10 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Records, documents, gun issues....

Here are some random points re; firearms & legal-document-property issues;

I'd join the NRA www.nra.org & get a firearm insurance policy for your property. This may be better than your current plan or be easier to deal with.
I'd keep track of or retain any sales records(warranty cards, sales receipts, FFL forms, owner's manuals, etc). Note the weapons serial #(s) & take a few digital images too. I keep my duty/carry gun details in my cell phone in case it's stolen then I can immediately provide the information to sworn LE if it's stolen or I get into a critical incident.
Some forum members may say; hey so what! But I recall watching a street bum run up and grab a guy's smokes, lighter & change off the ground as he was being put under arrest by 2 plain clothes deputy US Marshals!
Don't think that in a serious use of force event, you can drop your weapon or gear(white light spare magazine folder knife etc) down & no one will snatch it.
I'd only use factory made rounds for duty or protection & save 2/3 in the container or box just to document when the ammunition was made or if it could be tested for ballistics. Author & legal use of force instructor: Massad Ayoob suggests this to armed citizens.
Keep your firearms clean & check them often to make sure they function. It's safer for you and looks better in any court/civil actions if you use it in a critical incident. It will help maintain the firearm value also.
Read the firearm owner's manual & be aware of any special instructions re; cleaning or it's use. If a criminal investigator or lawyer asks if you read the manual you can honestly say; yes.
Save the records or documents from any training classes or seminars related to your weapons.

Clyde