The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Newton24b

chokes and wad question

lately ive been seeing a good portion of the new non toxic bird loads being touted as having shot wad technology that does all of the spread and patterningof the shot FOR YOU, making choke selection not very important.

so if thats the case, why do the hunting mags tell me i still need to spend extra money to get more expensive shotguns with adjustable choke tubes?
Old June 2, 2012, 02:37 AM   #2
TheKlawMan

I never heard of them but guess it is a lot easier and less expensive to invest in a few chokes than have to carry ammo designed for different patterns.
Old June 2, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
oneounceload

It's called MARKETING and just like political promises, you need to look at that stuff with a skeptic's eye. (Any place else we would just call it lying )

While a wad the stays on longer after leaving the barrel can help the pattern a little, that ability is miniscule compared to what the choke does
Old June 4, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
BigJimP

"Marketing Speak" ....is by its very nature....meant to confuse and distort the truth ....and make you see it their way....

There is very little doubt - these days - that when changeable screw in chokes came on the market in a pretty big way in the 80's or so ....they really allowed many of us to use 1 gun ...for everything ...from waterfowl, to grouse, to doves and quail --- and clay targets / by changing the chokes to the expected kill range.

Is it possible to do pretty well ...partly by changing your loads...with a fixed choke gun, sure it is .../ but its not optimal, in my view.