The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Benelli LOP too long?

Howdy
So I have recently acquired a Benelli Nova in 12 gauge with ghost ring sights. Previously I have shot the heck out of my Mossberg Maverick 88 and had no problems shooting it comfortably, quickly and accurately.
The problem I am having is that when I shoot my new benelli I get a bruise on my shoulder and obviously it hurts quite a bit. This may be caused by my excessive use of 3 1/2" goose loads. But I don't believe that is the problem. I'm making a conscience effort to hold the butt against my shoulder tightly.
Could LOP be an issue?
Am I just a sissy?
Might it be that the ghost ring sights cause me to hold the gun in a different way?
The butt pad on the shotgun is removable, so I can mess with LOP, but butt pads cost money and if can avoid buying several it would be a good thing.
Is there a way I can figure the right LOP for myself?
What say you?

-Chris

Last edited by Ac1d0v3r1d3; March 23, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old March 23, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2
zippy13

If your new gun has an adjustable stock, try matching it to the stock of the gun that works for you. And, I don't know anyone who finds those 3 1/2" super mags a pleasure to shoot in a pump.

When it comes to stock fitting, it's best to be assisted by someone who knows what he's doing.
Old March 23, 2011, 07:06 PM   #3
BigJimP

Its almost impossible to say unless we could see you mount the gun and shoot...but back off those goose loads.../especially if you're getting beat up.

Drop down to a 1oz target load ...depending on where you're shooting at / you can't alwasy shoot them indoors.

You need to ask the guys at the range where you shoot to give you some tips / it may be a mount issue / it may be the angles on your elbows - as part of the mount / you may be letting go of the grip on the gun as you pull the trigger / the comb angle could be wrong / length of pull might be wrong - but its usually the last big thing to check.

What's your experience level - how many shells have you put thru this shotgun ? Shells thru Shotguns in general ?
Old March 23, 2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Ac1d0v3r1d3

I don't have a ton of expierence, but I have put probably 12-1500 rounds through my old Mossberg, which seems smaller, lighter and points better for me.
The benelli I have put about 150 rounds through in the past week. 50 or so have been 3 1/2" shells. I also put about 25 or so rounds through my buddy's 20 gauge over under yesterday. It points and shoots great for me.
We hand throw clays and I can usually break them every time with his 20 or my old 12 gauge mossberg. The new benelli with ghost ring sights is another story.
I know that ghost rings obviously aren't the best for shooting clays, but it's the only functional shotgun I own currently and I want to become proficient with it since I want to use it for HD.
If I can I'll see about taking some pictures or myself mounting the gun next time I'm at the range.

A question I forgot to include in my first post. What are the symptoms of a short LOP? A long LOP?

Last edited by Ac1d0v3r1d3; March 23, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old April 2, 2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Update

UPDATE:
I just got my mossberg trigger group back in the mail (actually they sent me a brand new one)
So I put the mossberg back together and I set it next to the benellie. And I'm looking at the mossberg (which I love to shoot) and looking at the Benelli (which hurts) And it looks to me like the mossberg actually has a LONGER LOP then the benelli. So I'm going to try and fit a bigger recoil pad on the benelli and see how it shoots.
Old April 2, 2011, 05:11 PM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
This may be caused by my excessive use of 3 1/2" goose loads
There's your problem
Old April 2, 2011, 10:37 PM   #7
big al hunter

Those goose loads beat me up too, in my mossberg 835. My buddy got a benelli last fall. It has a Flex Tech stock on it. They advertise a 40 percent reduction in felt recoil. So I ordered my new TC Encore Pro Hunter 12 gauge with a Flex Tech stock. I can say from experience that it tames those 3 1/2 mags down to target 2 3/4, or darn close. It was a pleasure to shoot those 3 1/2's
Old April 3, 2011, 12:54 AM   #8
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Quote:
There's your problem
That may be the problem. I'm planning on shooting my mossberg and the new benelli side by side later this week and then I'll see what the problem is.
Old April 3, 2011, 02:49 PM   #9
Will Beararms

Shorter butt pads for the Benelli Nova are available but scarce. The stock one pulls right off and the shorter version pops right in.
I would get the mercury recoil reduction system if you shoot 3.5's out of the Nova.

When you can find them, the Nova Gel Pad is insanely over priced----$120.00 plus for a rubber pad that pops in.

You might try eBay.