The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
jwrowland77

7mm Rem Mag Recoil Reduction

I have a Remington 700 synthetic stock. While I love shooting it, as everyone knows, it's kicks like a mule.

I had an idea that I was wondering if it would work or if I should try something else.

I took off the recoil pad and noticed that there is absolutely nothing inside. I was thinking about lining the inside with fiberglass and inserting two mechanical recoil reducers made from PVC, springs and washers. After inserting the mechanical devices, I was going to spray expanding foam to cover the empty areas to keep the mechanical devices in one spot.

Does it sound like I'm wasting my time? What would you do?
Old May 7, 2012, 08:09 PM   #2
1Hobie

Those wussy 7mm Rem. Mags. I've only shot about three rounds through my BIL's gun and whew it moved me. H ehadn't shot it yet and was leary of it....no kidding. I fired the three rounds, got my shoulder rotated back into place when he asked me "how was it it"? I replied "Sweet"! and handed the rifle over to him. His first round, he looked at me after it went down-range with a look that was hilarious, at least to me.

Seriously, the butt plate on our Remingtons suck. I recently bought a slip-on butt pad called Limbsaver for my "new" 12 guage and I like it. You might check it out.

Wussy.....

Hobie
Old May 7, 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
jwrowland77

Haha, too funny. My only problem is I don't know when to quit shooting it. I have a tendency to shoot around 20 shots or so in a range session and by the time I get done, I have a nice little sore spot on my shoulder....but it's a good pain.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Bart B.

Remove the butt pad then drill some large, deep holes in the buttstock. Fill 'em full of birdshot mixed with epoxy. Do the same thing under the barrel in the fore end; just hog it out and fill it up. Add weight to the rifle. It'll kick less.

But the compromise is its added weight. Life is full of compromises. Make good ones.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:47 AM   #5
jwrowland77

It's completely hollow behind the recoil pad. It's one big hole.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Savage99

Sell the 700. Don't spend money and time on a entry level design.

Also if you modify any gun like that it's value to others will fall.

Look at M70's, Ruger 77's, Kimber etc. and get a CRF action with a three position M70 type safety and some much nicer machinery.

Get a rifle with a thick soft recoil pad like the Decelerator.

A 270 will do most hunting well and kick less.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:00 PM   #7
hooligan1

My Weatherby Vanguard came with a nice recoil pad on its synthetic stock, and remember its a magnum, and it's recoil is part of the fun,,,, kinda like tequila, fun to drink tonight but tomorrow will suck for a few hours
Old May 12, 2012, 11:44 PM   #8
TrailBlazinMan

Nothing sticks to the synthetic stocks very well. Any sort of recoil reduction in the back will need to be stabilized and I do not think just the foam will cut it. Load the puppy up with fiberglass (or other bedding agent) and the rifle will gain 3 or 4 pounds.

Are you against muzzle breaks?
Old May 13, 2012, 12:16 AM   #9
bcrash15

Between a slip on recoil reducer (limbsaver or pachmayr) and maybe an additional shoulder pad that you wear, I think you might be able to get the recoil down to a more reasonable level without much work or modification to the gun. The downside is that those things add to the length of pull, might make the gun harder to shoot well.
Old May 13, 2012, 01:45 PM   #10
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazinMan View Post

Are you against muzzle breaks?
Not at all. I've actually been looking at some since I started this thread.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:38 PM   #11
TrailBlazinMan

An aggressive muzzle break can reduce felt recoil but there are some drawbacks. If the rifle is used for hunting then it is recommended to remove the break to save your and your buddy's hearing.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:24 AM   #12
hooligan1

Yeah and the guy in the booth next to you at the range will really set up and take notice!
Old May 17, 2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Clark

Here is a pic of a dozen rifle butts.
10 of them have large unground grind to fit Limbsaver recoil pads.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1337305534

The pads are 2" wide, 5.5" high, and average 1" thick.

There are four 7mmRemMag rifles in the pic, three 300 Win mag rifle, one 338 Win mag rifle, and others.

The way to keep the pressure on the skin below the threshold of pain is to distribute the recoil impulse over time and area with compliance to fit the shoulder shape. This pad does that.

Not grinding down the pad [for looks] results in more area [no pain].

I have shot a number of deer with the 7mmRM, and I was prone with the Limbsaver on the top of my bony shoulder.

I have never felt any recoil pain from 7mmRM, 300WM, or 338WM with the unground limbsaver.

And I build some light rifles, and I handload hot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butt pads gone wild 5-17-2012.jpg (59.7 KB, 473 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:14 PM   #14
NESHOOTER

Here is a great way but it is the ultra light version U/L I have the V/S version on my 7mag it is heavier is not something you would want to carry around all day so the U/L one maybe better heres a link to the U/L http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Axi...ck,220,166.htm AND here is a link to the V/S version http://www.botachtactical.com/blackh...ck-rem700.html yes they are pricy but I can shoot 70 rounds and have less recoil than a 410 its great.
Old May 18, 2012, 04:39 PM   #15
tobnpr

Quote:
Sell the 700. Don't spend money and time on a entry level design.
Hmmm....assuming that's a joke....I won't defend the history and usage of the 700 action (even though, I do prefer Savage...).

I'd suggest a heavier stock.

This is pure physics...."equal and opposite reaction"....

Nothing tames felt recoil better than more beef under the action- and a quality recoil pad like Limbsaver- on every one of my rifles.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:44 PM   #16
oneounceload

My 700 7mm mag is a joy to shoot compared to my Model 7 in 7-08 - one is a nice push, the other is a major slap
Old August 19, 2012, 08:04 PM   #17
OBC

I just got my savage 11 7mm rem mag n took it to the range, I got to 35-39 rounds b4 I really noticed the recoil so at 45 rounds, I called it a day. She left her mark on my shoulder but I love it!!!
Old August 19, 2012, 08:07 PM   #18
jwrowland77

Oh I'm sure. LOL. I've been out shooting mine lately getting ready again for deer season and noticed that 150gr round makes the forearm jump a little more, where say a 160-175gr round gives a little more push on the shoulder and not a lot of jump on the forearm.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:13 PM   #19
OBC

Yes I did notice that with the 150 gr also, unfortunately I didn't have the other to compare but what do u feel is the best load to use?
Old August 19, 2012, 08:18 PM   #20
jwrowland77

Well after shooting a lot of different rounds from different manufactures, I've had a lot of success with the Remington core-lokt in 160 grains and up. I've taken many deer with it. I'm actually getting ready to reload my own, so I'm hoping to reduce the forearm jump. I'll be loading a 139 grain since that is what was sent too me from Hornady.
Old August 19, 2012, 09:34 PM   #21
FloridaVeteran

Regarding the earlier reply re muzzle brakes, one of my best friends has tinnitus to this day from firing a .300 Weatherby Magnum with a KDF reducer in a box canyon, forgetting in the excitement to put plugs in or muffs on. That was almost twenty years ago. To this day, he has to put cotton in his ears when we go into a restaurant. Cannot overemphasize the warning about muzzle brakes and hearing protection. Not to diminish the value of hearing protection at all times when shooting.
Old August 24, 2012, 11:28 AM   #22
xLPlushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1 View Post
My Weatherby Vanguard came with a nice recoil pad on its synthetic stock, and remember its a magnum, and it's recoil is part of the fun,,,, kinda like tequila, fun to drink tonight but tomorrow will suck for a few hours
THIS!! I left my Vanguard as is from factory. It gives a nice nudge with hot 150gr factory loads. My younger bro has a Savage in 7mm Rem Mag with a ported barrel and his has a bit more punch than mine.

Tapatalked via my highly abused iPhone
Old August 24, 2012, 06:09 PM   #23
wyop

Have you given any thought to how well the stock does or doesn't fit you?

Most factory stocks fit only the people near the "average" height and arm length. If the gun is too long in the pull for you, recoil can be quite uncomfortable for you. If the length of pull is too short, you could end up having to take a cheek weld further back than you want to make sure you don't get bit by the scope.

I've seen lots of people struggling with rifle or shotgun recoil who could benefit from a gun that actually fits them.
Old August 24, 2012, 06:57 PM   #24
Scorch

I was out just yesterday shooting a friend's Rem 700 in 300 Win Mag, and yes, it did kick a bit (I'm pretty used to recoil, so no big deal). One thing I noticed was that the Remongton factory recoil pad is hard rubber, kind of like a tire. Limbsaver, Pachmayer, and Kick-Eez all sell pre-ground recoil pads that will fit right on where the factory pad comes off.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235...ic-stock-black
Or you can have a gunsmith fit a pad to your rifle that will significantly ease the recoil feeling.
Old August 24, 2012, 07:01 PM   #25
jwrowland77

Awesome, thanks Scorch. I will definitely be looking into that recoil pad.