The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 24, 2013, 04:12 PM   #51
reynolds357

But the 700 is still the 700 and its still selling like crazy. No one will know what a 710 or 770 was 30 years from now.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:32 PM   #52
Boomer58cal

The 770 is not a 700 and its not supposed to be! No company is going to build a cheap Rifle that is as good or better as they're expensive one. Why do you keep insisting that it should be?

Quote:
No one will know what a 710 or 770 was 30 years from now.
Are we talking about budget hunting rifles or Museum pieces?

Boomer
Old November 24, 2013, 08:05 PM   #53
Dc777

I regret asking my question. I'm new to this forum so it was one of my first posts. I stated that I was seeking only positive reviews and based on a good bit of the comments I have determined that a good bit of people on here either failed school because they couldn't read, or else they just ignore what they read. I'm shaking my head.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:24 PM   #54
semi_problomatic

I'm shaking my head too...

"I want to hear opinions on the 770. I have one in .300 win mag and have killed many deer with it. I've read a bunch of bad stuff about these guns and I'm thinking that those reviews are from people that haven't actually fired the gun, or people that have just heard stories. Mine was purchased 5 years ago when they cost closer to $400 than $300. My bolt seems to be great. My buddy bought his before me and did have a problem with his magazine, but remington happily replaced it for free. Has anyone else had a pleasant experience with it like I have?"

Since this is an internet forum, you may want to learn how to write clearly. Your own lack of ability to communicate is not other people's fault. Just because you know what you want to hear doesn't mean we can read your mind.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:34 PM   #55
reynolds357

DC if you re-read what you asked, you will find that you asked for "opinions" first and "positive reviews" second. You asked for both.

Have I shot a 770? No. I have seen several of them that failed. I have seen someone hurt by one that failed. I like budget rifles, have several of them. The 770 scares me.
Old November 24, 2013, 09:59 PM   #56
Boomer58cal

Quote:
Have I shot a 770? No. I have seen several of them that failed. I have seen someone hurt by one that failed. I like budget rifles, have several of them. The 770 scares me.
Every other rifle has failed at some point too and some times people get hurt. The all mighy 700 and the 770 are no differant.

Boomer
Old November 24, 2013, 10:59 PM   #57
reynolds357

Boomer, you really want to use that argument?
Old November 25, 2013, 02:13 PM   #58
Boomer58cal

I did a little searching online, the only catastrophic failure I've been able to find of a 770 was the guy who's barrel blew up. It was caused by operator error. He fired the gun straight out of the box without cleaning it first. It appears that the first shot fired squibed and the bullet stuck in the barrel. The second shots split the barrel like a banana peel about halfway down.

There are several guys online who broke their bolt handle off using a mallet to beat the bolt open. They're stuck bolts were probably also caused by firing their gun uncleaned strait out of the box.

If you have any solid evidence that my 770 is going to blow up in my face I'd love to know about it. That sure would ruin my day.

Boomer
Old April 9, 2014, 08:00 PM   #59
psychopuppy1

SOOOO, after all this time, I hope DC didn't leave the group just because he got the answers he asked for!
Myself, it has been a busy time, but let me tell you what has happened the last two days!
After much fighting with remington about my broken bolt handle, I looked on line and found the closest authorized repair shop to me and made a call! Yesterday was the call, today was the trip! I was informed in the call that they was two weeks behind in work, so I would have to leave the rifle! When I got there, he took it right in and came back in a matter of minutes with a new bolt!
I wanted to see it work before I left, so he had some dummy rounds already made and he fed it one and pulled it out, now probs!
I told him, load the clip and try that, sure nuff, it wouldn't work, no matter how hard he pulled! I was waiting for the handle to break off for him too! HEE-HEE!!!!
So he disappears again and a few minutes later he comes out, reloads the clip with the dummy's and cycles them all thru! Hands me the rifle and says "have a good day!"
Two things he says is common with the 770, broken handles and sucky clips. It just so happens that I got both on mine!
So for all you that doubted I had a broken bolt handle, look it up on line like I did, or talk to a remmy repair shop!
To the shop in Vernon, NY, I wish you where closer to me, you would get ALL my business! KUDOS to you !!!!!
Old April 11, 2014, 10:46 AM   #60
natman

Quote:
I want to hear opinions on the 770. I have one in .300 win mag and have killed many deer with it. I've read a bunch of bad stuff about these guns and I'm thinking that those reviews are from people that haven't actually fired the gun, or people that have just heard stories.
Since you asked, no, I've never fired a 770. I have, however taken one apart and examined it in detail, so my opinions are not based on "just hearing stories" but on 40 years of experience buying, selling and working on guns. The bad press for the 770 is not caused by some fault of the critics but of the gun itself.

The manager ordered two in the shop when they first came out. They sat on the shelf for months, mostly because none of the salesmen could make themselves recommend it or even show it to customers. They ended up being sold at cost to give away at a hunt club dinner.

The Remington 770 may be acceptably accurate. I don't care, because it is shoddily made, with sloppy clearances and overall poor workmanship. Oh, and it's ugly too. It is in fact the worst made American centerfire rifle I can recall, having wrested that crown from the gun that started out as the Raptor and has now become the Mossberg ATR. If I came across an ATR at a bargain price I might consider seeing how much it could be improved with some hand fitting and fine tuning. I wouldn't own a 770 if it were free.

Quote:
I regret asking my question. I'm new to this forum so it was one of my first posts. I stated that I was seeking only positive reviews and based on a good bit of the comments I have determined that a good bit of people on here either failed school because they couldn't read, or else they just ignore what they read. I'm shaking my head.
You asked for opinions, you got mine. Asking for opinions and then complaining when you don't like the answers is unrealistic. If you can't take being disagreed with why are you soliciting opinions on an online forum?

Last edited by natman; April 11, 2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old April 12, 2014, 04:46 PM   #61
Dc777

Nope, I'm still around. I like my 770, but I've become obsessed over my model 700 that I got on trade a few weeks ago. Made in 1973 but still looks brand new.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old October 12, 2014, 06:23 PM   #62
SARuger

I picked my .243 770 up from wally world for $250 w/cheap scope. I took the Simmons scope off of it and put it on one of the kids rimfires and mounted a Hawke 4x12 50mm BDC on it. It shoots good not great. Three boxes through it and it holds 1" at 100yds on a rest. That is with Hornady 58gr Varmit. I bought the gun to beat around after coyote and groundhogs. The local farmers will love you for killing either on their land. I think if I go to a heavier grain it would be better.

So far the rifle has been reliable
Old October 12, 2014, 09:33 PM   #63
Doug S

My son was given a 270 cal Remington 770 with a Nikon scope as a gift. He has had it to the range just one time so far, but the rifle was accurate and reliable on that occasion. We are going to go out again for another practice session in.prep for the upcoming Whitetail season. Don't have an opinion on the long term quality of the rifle, but it seems adequate for its intended purpose. I use a Remington 700. It's an okay rifle too, it seems. Been using a 700 since about 1989-90.
Old October 14, 2014, 08:06 AM   #64
kristop64089

I just picked one up in .308 for $250 OTD.

I have a had MANY guns in all forms, and they are ALL tools. I have a Howa 1500, Remington 700,Winchester 70 and Savage 110. I was VERY leery about this rifle purchase, but I bought it as a SHTF/Deer/Hog gun. Something that can take a bit of abuse. I didn't buy it as a bench gun or LR Sniper gun.
I see a lot of negativity surrounding this gun, and many of the opinions seem to be an echo.
What I have found through extensive research is, the shooters that have them, are quite IMPRESSED with it's efficiency, and after a small bit of work on the bolt, it's no longer a problem.

Is mine going to make me an Olympic shooter? No way. Will I be able to successfully fill my freezer with it? If I do my part, you bet.
In todays political-social climate I think Remington should be praised for offering a low cost alternative, to Americans that want to get into the shooting sports. That goes for all Mfg's.
Old October 26, 2014, 01:10 PM   #65
Doug S

My son took a very nice doe with his new 770 yesterday morning. Nothing fancy but it served its purpose quite well. It will be put away until the regular rifle season in late Nov.