The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2012, 03:27 AM   #1
Orphanedcowboy

Any reviews: Fiocchi 2-3/4" #4 Buckshot

2-3/4" #4 Buckshot 27 Nickel Plated Pellets

Fiocchi Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" #4 Buckshot 27 Nickel Plated Pellets Box of 10

Any one tried this ammo? If so, thoughts? Better price?

I am wanting to order a couple of cases if it turns out to be a good deal, would be for HD and under 40yd pig, coyote, raccoon(control) and bobcat hunting.

Thanks
Old January 6, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've not tried that specific load, but I have shot a fair amount of Fiocchi's No. 4 buck loads with unplated shot.

Fiocchi is excellent ammo all around.

$6.99 a box of 10 really isn't that bad for quality ammo. I've seen Remington and Winchester No. 4 buck for a lot more.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Lee Lapin

My usual approach to a new/different buckshot load is to buy a box or two, pattern it, and if I like the results, then buy a case or more. Since all shotguns are pretty much different in how they pattern, and most every shotgunner prefers different things in patterns, I'd say it's far too subjective a question to submit to Internet collective "wisdom" and base a decision thereon.

But YMMV of course...

And no, I've never tried any of the Fiocchi #4 buck loads. I like their high velocity 00 loads though.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 6, 2012, 12:16 PM   #4
mathman

This is great stuff in my opinion.
Old January 6, 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Orphanedcowboy

Well I plan to run them in a FN SLP 18" with a Trulock Light Full, Full or Extra Full choke. I am ordering a complete set of Trulock Precision Hunter choke tubes, but I think one of the ones listed above will give me what I want at 40-50yds.

I also thought about the 3" load with 41 pellets as well.
Old January 6, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Both 20 pump and 12 gauge semi-auto at 25 yards. Full choke shoots badly but IM shoots it in a fairly even group to point of aim. I have no problems with it and no qualms using it if I need buckshot. Mileage may vary in your gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old January 7, 2012, 11:34 AM   #7
Lee Lapin

I don't know how well #4 buck pellets will penetrate at 40-50 yards. I know from testing what my full velocity 00 loads (Federal LE127 00) will do at that range as far as both patterning and penetration are concerned, but I'd worry about the smaller pellets of #4 buck without testing in advance.

If you haven't experimented with it yet, try a box of Federal LE127 00 or PFC154 00 with FliteControl wads, out of an open (CYL or ImpCyl) choke. You might be very surprised at the patterns you get. Be warned though, MOD or tighter chokes can open up patterns with FliteControl loads 100% or more.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Last edited by Lee Lapin; January 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM.