The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 29, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1
Harddog321

Mossberg 500A

Hello out there in Shotgun Land!

I just bought myself a used 18.5" 12ga. 500A for home defense.

I purchased this used gun instead of a Chinese clone of something else for about the same money.

Anyway, what I have here is I believe a very early production unit because the serial #996XX has only the 5 digits with no letters. It also has "Police Gun" stamped on the barrel after all the chamber info. This seems to have thrown Mossberg for a loop because response to my emails wondering what the manufacture date might be returned with I must be crazy cause I guess they don't have anything on record with only 5 digits. Don't know if the Police Gun deal has anything to do with that but maybe it does?

Not ever laying a hand on one of these before sent me to youtube where I found a disassembly video. I take mine apart and I notice that it does not have a firing pin return spring like the one I saw in the video. Mine is just in there floating around. Being scared of accidental drop discharge and the dreaded potential slamfire, my question is what would it take to convert mine to the current spec with the firing pin return spring. Again, the Mossberg guy seemed somewhat braindead when I asked him this question. The guys name was Santa Hernandez, so without knowing any better, I guess this is also a job an American won't do!

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Dan
Old December 29, 2011, 10:21 PM   #2
TheKlawMan

Quote:
The guys name was Santa Hernandez, so without knowing any better, I guess this is also a job an American won't do!
In the midst of the Holidays it is good to know that the racists are still with us.
Old December 29, 2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Harddog321

Whatever man! How is stating a fact about exactly how things are rolling these days racist? The guy was pretty much braindead! Braindead is Braindead! I guess you have nothing for the discussion but thanks anyway!
Old December 30, 2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I really do not see this going anywhere positive.

Closed....
Closed Thread