The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 15, 2014, 03:56 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Question for CZ 527 owners

Can the magazine be easily push-loaded from the top through the action, while the magazine is snapped into place?

I really want a 527 in .17 Hornet but I despise detachable mags. I will get one though, if I can epoxy the mag release, to hold the mag in place and load from the top.

Thanks.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:15 PM   #2
stubbicatt

No. In order to load the mag, it must be removed.

Unless you modify it.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

Thank you sir!
Old October 15, 2014, 08:17 PM   #4
precision_shooter

Good to know. I haven't even loaded my 527 since purchasing....
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 17, 2014, 07:18 PM   #5
10-96

It's not supposed to be a kosher thing to do on Mauser type actions, but I've found on both of mine that it's crazy easy to drop a round in kinda on top of the follower and easily close the bolt.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 20, 2014, 01:47 AM   #6
chris in va

My x39 527 carbine is specifically designed to allow single loading. However mine had trouble doing so and after consulting CZ and various CZ owners, I was instructed to polish the claw extractor which allows it to snap over the rim much easier. It was a bit rough on the outside, which really falls in line with experiences I've had with other various CZ's I've owned.
Old October 22, 2014, 09:14 PM   #7
WIN71

claw extractor

I have cz 527's in 22 hornet and 223. In several trips to the range working up loads and shooting off a bench and sand bags I loaded single rounds with either the magazine in or out. It worked fine and no different than any push feed I have. Unlike the old Mauser and Mauser type claws, most all the newer ones are slightly beveled on the outside and slide over the cartridge base easily. I have pre 64's and FN mod 70's that behave the same.
I do have an old Mauser action custom rifle and it is close to impossible to load single rounds by hand without very heavy pressure at the end of going into lock-up. The cartridge is already head spaced and in firing position. That is when the claw snaps into position. However, if the round is first put in the magazine the claw goes into position and it loads like silk.

OP

What would be the reason for disliking detachable magazines? I like them in the mess around calibers I have. I carry the hornet with a couple extra mags when I'm walking the logging roads with my dog. Just something to blast with. Same with the 223. Except for a Colt Sauer 375 H&H which is detachable magazine fed all my hunting rifles are fixed magazine or bolt action single shots.