The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Tadpole Starr

CCI shot loads

I have a Kel-Tec 380 semi-auto pistol, and needed a shot load for it.

The company does not make one for the 380, so I acquired some 9 MM shot shells, and want to put the shot capsules into the 380 shells. The weight of the capsule is about 64 Gr. (APProx. 55 gr. of #12 birdshot.)

Can anyone tell me how much and what type of powder to put behind this load to eject the spent shell, be safe, and therefore be semi-auto with the shot load? The capsules are rounded in front. I have Unique powder, and access to Bullseye.
Old April 21, 2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Ifishsum

I don't think you'll get them to cycle at all. No shotshell I've ever tried in an auto pistol cycled the action enough to eject and feed the next round.
Old April 22, 2007, 01:19 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...about 64 Gr..." Did you weigh 'em or are you guessing? There is no data that I could find for any bullet less than 88 grains for the .380. You should probably re-think shotshells out of a .380.
Old April 22, 2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Tadpole Starr

For every action, there is a reaction

but maybe not enough to cycle the action. Too bad they are so light. I did weigh them and they are within a couple of grians.

Happy Earth day, lol (I'll recycle the lead, then I have done my part)
Old April 24, 2007, 06:29 PM   #5
Tadpole Starr

The 9MM shothell Capsuls Work and reload

I was surprised, but it did great. I had to hand load the first shot, then back it up with regular ammo. (I am going to get some Blazzer shells and try them for back-up. They may do the same thing.)

I tried shortening one, by .250, so it would feed, but it crushed it. The first shot was what I was looking for anyway. The pattern was very impressive. If you want to see a picture, I can send one by email. At 6 feet, it was about a 4 inch pattern.

My email address is [email protected]
Old April 24, 2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Scorch

I have a set of forming and loading dies for 45 ACP shotshells. I never tried loading any for my 9mm. Yes, the pattern is impressive, and they will kill small game very well. Have fun with yours!