The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 21, 1999, 06:04 PM   #1
house

I wanted your guys opinion about the Tacical-C holster. any of you own then or used them?? please give me you info about them. i was thinking of geting one for my 1911.
also is the price of $77.00 a good deal?
Old November 21, 1999, 07:39 PM   #2
Mikey

I would assume that you want this for IDPA competition or carry since you specified the "C" model. If your requirement is other than that my advice may not hold true.

I bought one for IDPA and had nothing but trouble with it. I finally sold it to a fellow who bought it after I told him why I didn't like it! The "C" backplate, in my opinion, pulls the upper (grip) portion of the gun too far in while allowing the lower (muzzle) portion to stick too far out. This makes drawing from the holster very difficult and, if your gun has forward cocking serrations, nearly impossible. The gun gets "jammed-up" requiring that the shooter lean left to gain enough body clearance to get the gun out. The only cure I found was to rotate the holster position for an extreme butt forward cant and position the holster almost directly over the right butt cheek. Neither was acceptable to me.

The holster would probably work fine with the standard tactical backplate (not IDPA legal) or a paddle backplate (promised by Hellweg but never delivered).

In the mean time, I'm using the best paddle holster I've ever found for the 1911 - the DeSantis Pro-Fed! I shoot IDPA every weekend and it took three years to begin showing wear on the first one. I just bought a second with the coupon I won at the Tennessee State Championships.

I have a friend that uses the Hellweg Covert Thun-Dur and loves it. He tried my Tactical-C and said it "sucks" (his word). I have also used and liked the Galco Firm Paddle holster.

Hope this helps...

Mikey
Old November 21, 1999, 09:28 PM   #3
J.P. Gonzalez

Sorry that Mike had a bad time with the holster. I purchased one in late 98 and used it without any problems at Thunder Ranch in May of this year. I adjusted the tension bolts to hold the Colt Commader lightly. It would slip out if I wasn't wearing the holster on my belt. But a week of moving, running, and thrashing around on the ground I never lost my pistol.

Some of the other students had Kydex holsters with out liners and they said it was a little hard on the gun finish.
Just my 2 cents JPG
Old November 22, 1999, 11:50 AM   #4
TacTrain

Hi house:

I have the K-Series model for my 1911 with both plates. I have used this holster extensively for two months. I can not recommend it for competition or defensive carry.

I really don't understand how the C plate could be approved for IDPA as it extends the holster so far from the body line that it makes it difficult for most to conceal it.

I modified both the plates to fit my body contour (small waist) but find them unconfortable for day long carry.

With that said, I do carry my 1911 in the Hellweg with the Original C plate modified for my waist on a modilfied Tactical Instrudtors belt, which is strapped around a non-modified Tactical Instructors belt. Basically this is a inner belt and outer belt configuration. At the point of holster placement there are three layers of belt between my hip and the holster plate. Of course in this configuration the holster is not concealable (I carry open, all day everywhere).

This works for open carry. The gun is in a straight up-right position and not pinned into my side, so it is fast and available. It is still experimental and although I have gone to great lengths to modify and attempt to make it something useful, it appears I will have to scrap it.

In my opinion, everything is wrong on this holster design. Out of the box (or more accurately; out of the plastic bag) it does not fit my waist nor does my gun like it. It does not secure the gun like other designs without extreme retention pressure from the retention screws and then it is impossible to get a clean draw. The liner likes to drag on the forward cocking serrations and is extremely sensitive to any rotation of the gun on the way up. The slightest pressure on the grip out or in on the way up tends to bind the gun.

I guess I don't like it!!!!!

Best Regards.....
"Train as You Live and Live as You Train"
Old November 22, 1999, 03:24 PM   #5
house

ummm thanks guys for all the info. i think i will have to look around some more.
what do you guys recomend?
i need it for IDPA and carry.
also i might drive with it and cant have it diging into me. also i an trying to stay away from cross draw holsters.
Old November 23, 1999, 10:27 AM   #6
TacTrain

If you like plastic, there are a lot out there. BladeTek and Mad Dog are a couple that make a verity of strong side and IWB. If you are female there is a new adjustable on the market that allows adjustment for hip size. I do not know the maker, but if you are interested I will get the name for you.

Best Regards....
"Train as You Live and Live as Your train"