The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 2, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
azmark

Assessing condition of used revolver

I'm looking to get a revolver. My preference is for a used K-frame S&W .38 spl. My budget is about $250 so I will need to get one in less than beautiful condition. I'm okay with that. I see model 10s from time to time on GB that can be had for what I can pay, but judging a fair price is hard for me.

There is a model 10 on GB right now for auction which might be okay, but it has definitely had corrosion problems in its life. It has significant pitting but has some kind of finish applied. Without physical inspection there's no way to tell if rust is there underneath or how much original finish is actually left. If anyone is willing to look, it is item #373651665.

Is this thing likely a total POS?
Old November 2, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Bob Wright

From your description alone, I'd pass on that. I believe you can get a gun in much better shape fo the same price.

Bob Wright
Old November 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #3
azmark

It's hard to find a reasonably priced K-frame locally. There aren't many gun shops in a small town and driving up to Tucson and shopping would take a good 40 bucks in gas with no guarantee of finding something acceptable.
Old November 2, 2013, 03:52 PM   #4
AirCool65

Keep an eye on the Buds Gun Shop website. They get batches of police trade-in Model 10's from time to time. That's where I got my 10-8... great condition outside of a little holster wear. I'm very happy with it.
Old November 2, 2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Bob Wright

azmark stated:
Quote:
.......which might be okay, but it has definitely had corrosion problems in its life. It has significant pitting but has some kind of finish applied......
That statement is cause for my concern. Plenty of wear of the finish is acceptable, but that it "has some kind of finish applied" leads me to believe kitchen table gunsmithing might have been done. Leads me to believe some kind of abuse has taken place.

Bob Wright