The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2013, 06:20 AM   #1
4runnerman

Berger Bullets

Hey all,Looking for input. Berger Bullets, I have been told the only difference between their Hunting and Target Bullets is, Target bullets have a thicker layer of copper on outside because they don't need to expand. Same bullet as hunting. Now while this sounds ok,would it not mean that the OD would be bigger also?. Bullet in question is 6MM (243) in 105 gn. I have not looked at the BC on them yet,but?. I have been shooting Hornady 105's but wanted to try the Burger VLD's. Problem is short of ordering on line no one carries the Target Version in stock just the Hunting version. I did 30 rounds up last week and did a trial run at 600 yards. They held in there very good( real good). Now it has me wondering if I jumped to the Target ones if very good could turn into wow?. rifle being used is a 6MMBR. I have heard nothing but great stories about Berger VLD's.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:14 AM   #2
LE-28

Quote:
Now while this sounds ok,would it not mean that the OD would be bigger also?
No, the OD stays the same no-matter what. How could it get bigger, it wouldn't fit the barrel.

The extra copper of the thicker jacket will be on the inside of the jacket. It will just have a little less lead in it.

Quote:
Now it has me wondering if I jumped to the Target ones if very good could turn into wow?.
I doubt it will turn into WOW! but you may or should have a tighter and more consistent group, but that depends on your rifle, weather conditions, and how well you can shoot at 600 yds.
There's only one way to find out, try some, if you can find them.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
AllenJ

Quote:
Same bullet as hunting.
No sir, they are not the same. Their design is the same but as you stated the target bullets have thicker jackets which won't allow for reliable expansion in game animals, and even Berger says not to use their target bullets for hunting.

Are their target bullets more accurate than their hunting bullets? From what I've heard and read, really good target shooters with really good target rifles say yes, they are more accurate.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:56 PM   #4
rduckwor

Bergers are favorites of LD target shooters. One step below the much more expensive "boutique" bullets.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Ole 5 hole group

I don't think there currently is a diffence in jacket thickness between target and hunting (there use to be a difference) - I think you will see the difference in the hp tip - the hunting version has a "wider" tip for faster expansion but call Berger for the real scoop.

Now for the VLD design - seating depth is critical on those and they need to be seated long, otherwise you won't have the proper case tension - that's why they aren't used in box mags like the AR15, as they won't feed properly seated correctly and have no case neck tension if seated short but you can shoot them single-shot style.
Old June 28, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
4runnerman

thanks all. I think I will try another 30 this weekend and stretch them out to 800 yards to see what they do.. I am seating them long,neck tension is minimal. I am actually seating the bullet deeper when i chamber the load. Cases are pressure sign free so far. Getting 2970 ish fps with 30.4 gn rl-15. If all goes well just might try the target version.

Thanks All