The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 21, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1
adn258

What's The Deal With Glock 18 C Full Auto Demo Pistols?

So I have been seeing a lot of of videos online about a glut of these on the market and as such look at the video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T77oVIRcVg

I have also looked at prices on these and they seem to be relatively cheap as far as class 3 full auto weapons are concerned. Think 800 dollars in total cost instead of thousands.

So I guess my question is has anyone owned these and if so are they fun and reliable like glocks in general? They seem like loads of fun no pun intended.

Why are these so cheap? Complaints etc.?
Old February 21, 2012, 07:19 AM   #2
PawPaw

Full-auto guns don't have to be expensive. Any guy with a machine shop could build a full-auto gun for very little money. The M3A1 was ridiculously inexpensive and easily manufactured. A shop that was set up to make them could probably crank them out for under $100.00. An M16 should cost very little over the cost of a standard AR15. The Full Auto control group and a little machining is all that is required.

Ask the Iraq or Afghan vets how many full-auto AKs they saw in the hands of the citizens over there. Those things are really easy to get. The Soviets and Chicoms made millions of them.

The problem is the law in the US. They don't want us to have full-auto weapons, so the licensing fees are expensive, the regulations are byzantine, and the consequences of not fulfilling even one little jot or tittle of the regulations means loss of your business, exorbitant fines, and jail time. It just isn't worth it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 21, 2012, 01:25 PM   #3
mboylan

Well they are only available to FFLs with a Class 3 or Class 7 SOT who have a demo request from an LEA on department letterhead. Those letters are getting increasingly more difficult to get. The ATF also has to approve the transfer.

They are so cheap because the number of potential legal purchasers is so small.

PS. SOT 7s may also purchase these weapons from SOT 7s and SOT 3s who are going out of business. These weapons may not be held without a SOT and accompanying business.
Old February 21, 2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Technosavant

For this reason:

Quote:
They are so cheap because the number of potential legal purchasers is so small.
To my knowledge, there aren't any pre-1986 Glock 18s out there, which means none are on the NFA full auto registry, and that in turn means regular folks can't own them.

With such a small group of potential buyers out there, the 18 ends up sounding insanely cheap. However, you see much the same thing with post-86 dealer sample full auto guns; they also aren't trading at anywhere near the prices of the pre-86 transferable guns.

Get rid of the Hughes Amendment that closed the full auto registry, and you'll see M16s going for not much more than an otherwise identical AR-15, Glock 18s going for $600 NIB, and all kinds of other surprisingly cheap full auto guns. I'd expect the ATF would need to expand the NFA branch considerably to handle the rush of applications of people falling all over themselves to pay a $200 tax.
Old February 21, 2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Skans

Quote:
I'd expect the ATF would need to expand the NFA branch considerably to handle the rush of applications of people falling all over themselves to pay a $200 tax.
You don't really think ATF is going to keep the fee at $200 if they repeal the ban, do you? No, they'll want their pound of flesh from you, but you know what, I'd be willing to pay it!
Old February 21, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
chasep255

Quote:
You don't really think ATF is going to keep the fee at $200 if they repeal the ban, do you? No, they'll want their pound of flesh from you, but you know what, I'd be willing to pay it!
Well they can't just raise the price as they please since it is set by the NFA. What would more likely is happen is the wait would increase by a lot.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:05 PM   #7
Deja vu

Quote:
Well they can't just raise the price as they please since it is set by the NFA. What would more likely is happen is the wait would increase by a lot.
I can see them saying they need to "adjust it for inflation" That comes out to about $3000-$4000 for a tax stamp.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old February 21, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8
mboylan

I can't see them raising the $200 NFA tax stamp. I could see Congress at some point in the distant future, repealing the Hughes amendment in exchange for a $3000 machine gun tax as a condition.

Let's face it. The US government does not want it's citizens to have access to affordable machine guns.

In the old days most chief LEOs would just say no and that would be the end of it. Revocable Living Trusts were not held as legal under the GCA of 68 until a court case in 99 or 2000.
Old February 22, 2012, 02:29 AM   #9
adn258

So essentially a normal person can just go through the class 3 NFA weapon procedure to buy this pistol? Is that correct? This isn't something I was too sure on since I've never bought or owned a class 3 weapon?
Old February 22, 2012, 09:30 AM   #10
ScottRiqui

Quote:
So essentially a normal person can just go through the class 3 NFA weapon procedure to buy this pistol? Is that correct? This isn't something I was too sure on since I've never bought or owned a class 3 weapon?
No, not a "normal person", because the Glock 18C wasn't around before 1986 and can't legally be transferred between individuals. Re-read post #3 - it explains who can legally possess them.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:07 PM   #11
David Hineline

Any imported gun after 1968 and any US made gun after 1986 are restricted to LE/Government departments, only or LE/Government dealers/manuf.

Unless you are issued a Glock 18 by a LE/Govment dept. or decided to become a LE/Govment weapons dealer, you will not have a Glock 18 in the US, guns are less regulated in some other countries.

If you want to shoot one, attend any routine machinegun shoot and most likely there will be a qualified person there that will let you shoot one.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Mrgunsngear

I fondled one yesterday...

Drool
Old March 3, 2012, 01:46 AM   #13
bamalefty

g18

hope u had a premature ejection lol