The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 10, 2005, 11:38 PM   #1
Trip20

Bars on your windows?

Has anyone installed bars on your home's windows in an attempt to make forced entry a little more difficult.

I'm building a house this upcoming spring and have spoken with my lady about having this done. She doesn't care as long as it's "decorative"....

I live in one of those areas where it's not "necessary" ... But I think I'd feel a bit more comfortable this way.

Just curious if any board members have considered this at all... or maybe even have them installed on their home.
Old August 11, 2005, 02:03 AM   #2
LAK

Rarher than bars, look into steel shutters.

It depends on the general construction of the house, brick and or stone being best. But if the windows are set in steel frames, or the shutter hinges can be anchored in brick or stone they can be made to be very difficult to force or cut. As a bonus they will protect the windows during a storm or hurricane.

For cosmetic appeal they can be faced with wood or painted.
Old August 11, 2005, 02:21 AM   #3
Wendi5000

My grandparents have bars. I'm terrified of them. Too many people have died in fires because they can't get out of the prison they turned their home into in the disorientation of smoke and heat in the middle of the night. No thanks... I've always said if I lived somewhere that bars were necessary - I'd rather pack my bags and move elsewhere.

On the other hand we have hurricane blinds on our house on the coast. Granted, ours are the el-cheapo type that aren't real attractive, but then, considering the condition of the house that we put them on and the neighborhood in general and our reason for having them, looks weren't a major priority and finances were. However, very attractive hurricane blinds can be installed in lieu of bars while providing a great deal of protection from home invasion with much less risk of becoming trapped in your home.

Hurricane blinds are almost impossible to remove from the outside without making so much noise it would wake your neighbors three houses down. That's kind of the point, so they don't get pulled off in a storm. But here's the catch - unlike bars, they can be easily released from inside the house. Even a young child can be taught to pull the emergency release cord and kick the blinds out for an easy escape from the house.

Granted, blinds don't provide as much security as bars in preventing a person from entering your home. But, in my opinion, the safety trade-off of being able to get out of the home should the need arise is well worth it.

Just my two cents, I'm sure others will have other opinions. I guess it comes down to doing what you think is best for your family situation.
Newborn Gyarfas, Chanel Andrade, Chica Jones, Little One Jones, Startle Summars, Paiges Gent, Bobbie Lane Koresh, Hollywood Sylvia, Mayanah Schneider, Crystal Martinez, Dayland Lord Gent, Serenity Sea Jones, Isaiah Martinez, Melissa Morrison, Star Howell, Joseph Martinez, Cyrus Howell, and all of brethren who perished with you 4/19/93, I will never forget you.
Learn More ~ Take a momen to picture this...
Old August 11, 2005, 02:54 AM   #4
Blue Heeler

Steel mesh screens are good, and not unsightly. Search Google under home security in your area.
Old August 11, 2005, 04:06 AM   #5
chris in va

I work as a residential window cleaner. IMO one of the better things you can do if you have standard wood windows is simply drill a hole in the corner for an eyebolt. It prevents someone from 'silently' trying to lift up the window while still allowing you to easily escape if a fire breaks out. Just pull the eyebolt out and lift the window.

Too many times I've seen these threaded bolts or locks on windows and heard about a family that simply couldn't get out due to not having the key.
Old August 11, 2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Mikkel

Bulletproof glass and iron bars would do it. Keep BGs out and you in house.
Old August 11, 2005, 07:45 AM   #7
PythonGuy

If you want to live in a jail more power to you, I prefer to die just one death, not a thousand. There has to be a happy medium where fear and paranoia take a back seat to living and enjoying life, it seems so sad to be afraid of life.
Old August 11, 2005, 08:15 AM   #8
ATW525

If you're bulding a house, why make windows at all? You can get some plasma TVs in the walls and have them play outdoorsy scenes... and you can even change the views to whatever you feel like.
Old August 11, 2005, 08:35 AM   #9
RWK

Emergency egress in the event of a fire REALLY troubles me.
Old August 11, 2005, 08:39 AM   #10
3 weelin geezer

If I want bars on my windows or reduced size windows high up the wall, I will just go to that ad in shotgun news for an autosear, buy it and have fun for a little while. Then, when I get my room and new clothes I will enjoy my new accomodations courtesy of all of you taxpayers. Just like those men with cardboard signs on the streetcorners.

No really. If someone wants uninvited access to my house that bad, they may enter. Now how they think I will just let them just leave (with stuff) is another story.
Old August 11, 2005, 09:01 AM   #11
Jim Watson

One of Ayoob's books gives a brand of burglar bars with a quick release for fire escape. The Truth About Self Protection, I think.
Old August 11, 2005, 09:48 AM   #12
swmike

No bars here. Refuse to admit that the BG's influence the way I live. If someone gets in, the only way out is in a bag.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 11, 2005, 10:26 AM   #13
Trip20

Thanks, Jim Watson, for the suggestion.

And thanks everyone else for pointing out the fire-hazard...etc.

To all who feel I'm compromising my lifestyle, or similar comment about giving up some of life's enjoyment:

C'mon. I'm a heavy sleeper, I like to leave the windows open on the cool summer nights, and I'm looking for a way to get a little piece of mind. I'm not trying to build a bunker.

Some of the comments were funny though... and that's definitely appreciated.
Old August 11, 2005, 11:00 AM   #14

I plan on putting bars on my three basement windows. Too easy to get in right now. I'm not too afraid of a huge fire starting so quickly that my exit to the upstairs is blocked.

To those of you who said you will "greet" anyone who breaks into your house, what happens if someone breaks in while you are not home, hmmmm?

I'm more worried about someone burglarizing my home when I'm not there.

I don't live scared. I sleep very well, thank you. What's wrong with being prepared, or feeling secure?

Ronald Reagan
Old August 11, 2005, 02:12 PM   #15
cuate

Window Bars

Our hearts go out to you who live where BGs roam at will and Window Bars are a consideration. Being way out in the sticks in the Cross Timbers of our State has its rewards but having lived in Dallas, Ft. Worth, and Grand Prairie we know the insecurity in those like places.

We are 100 yds. from a major highway where all manners of BGs might pass. A Model 1897 12 guage by the door, barking dogs (house dogs) and Texas laws "after dark" provide peace of mind as well as other shootin' irons around and handy. Paranoia doesn't even enter the picture.
Old August 11, 2005, 03:16 PM   #16
John_W_L

Push Button Release

I build schools here in California. All of the windows that we install bars onto are required to have a "Push Button Release" that opens from the inside.The bars install in 2 or 3 sections and one side is hinged.Hit the "PBR" and the bars open wide. Great for any emergency.Thanks
Old August 11, 2005, 03:30 PM   #17

You said that bars were not "necessary" in your neighborhood. Then why do it? You have a gun, be happy with that.

Not trying to be mean, but it must suck to be scared of the entire world.

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com
Old August 11, 2005, 03:34 PM   #18
Rangefinder

Alternative

If you aren't sure if you need to go so far as bars on the windows, here's an alternative plan.

Make sure the parimeter of your house is clear of obstruction against the exterior walls (bushes, hedges, anything big enough to hide in or behind that would provide instant concealment to a would-be BG.) If you want parimeter decore, choose something that has dual-purpose (looks good and protects too--rose bushes are great! Anything thorny, especially under windows.) Then install motion-sensor lights. Then make sure everything is locked (windows, doors, etc). An unlocked window can be opened, entered, and closed in seconds and no one would know the better. A broken window draws quick attention. The whole idea here is overlapping deterrance without living in a fortified dungeon.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 11, 2005, 03:58 PM   #19
Dre_sa

south african

here in south africa we have 15 foot walls with electric wiring on top.gates with electric motors so we dont have to get out the car. lights with motion sensors arround the perimeter of the house and bars on all windows (covering entire window not just the opening part). this is all neccessary to keep out BG's. but still they find a way in. hope u find wht youre lookin for. could come here for a week to find it all.
Old August 11, 2005, 04:02 PM   #20
Trip20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62
You said that bars were not "necessary" in your neighborhood. Then why do it? You have a gun, be happy with that.
Well, I haven't done it yet. It was something I've been considering and was looking for opinions here at TFL. Thank you for yours.

I don't want to have a false sense of security because I happen to live in an area where supposedly bad things shouldn't occur. And realistically, the town I live in isn't that small... it's in a direct path between Milwaukee, Chicago, and Minneapolis/St. Paul. Believe it or not a lot of drugs run through this town.

Correct, I do have a gun... the "be happy with that" part doesn't sit well with me. The gun only does me good if I am able to use it. All the training and marksmanship in the world will not do much good if you can't wake up and be alert in time to impliment your training. Maybe you sleep standing up, one eye open, in a ninja suite, with the trigger barely out of the trigger guard... I don't.

As previously stated, I am a heavy sleeper, I like to leave the windows open during the spring/summer and do not like the thought of any would-be BG being able to easily slip into my home. I don't know if this sounds freakishly paranoid as some seem to imply. I seems to happen every day all across America - so is it that hard to understand where I'm coming from?

A few months back, there were over 50 B&E's in this area. Some while people were home sleeping, some during the day while people were at work. They caught'em, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62
Not trying to be mean, but it must suck to be scared of the entire world.

Can someone please explain how we get from what I just said above, to being scared of the "entire world"?

7.62... I'm not scared of many things - and no it's not because I'm a tough guy.

I do worry from time to time, however, of falling victim to a home invasion. I couldn't bare to look into my loved ones eyes and see the fear that I may have been able to prevent with something as simple as security bars on the windows.

What am I sacrificing if I were to choose to use them? About .05% of my view? Or maybe my neighbors will think I'm nuts (that ain't so bad sometimes)?

Anyway, thanks again for the tips (especially you John_W_L).
Old August 11, 2005, 04:23 PM   #21
stephen426

Wendi5000's post is great. The fire hazard should be the greatest concern. I happen to think they look ugly as heck as well. Here are a few soultions that may or may not work for you.

Get a good alarm that has the following:
- central monitoring (otherwise its just noise)
- the ability to set the alarm while at home (motion sensors not active)
- the ability to set the alarm to instant-on (no delay)
- battery back up in case the power is cut
- cell phone back up in case phone lines are cut
- properly zoned out so you can tell what zone is tripped
- motion sensors over possible entry points (criss crossing)
- shock sensors and/or glass break sensors on the windows
- alarmed screen panels if you like to open your windows.

Sound a little extreme? Thats what I set up for me previous house after I got broken into (while not at home unfortuately).

Other option that may or may not work:
Fence in your property and get a guard dog. You can use an electronic collar to contain the dog when you open the gate to drive your car into your drive way. I know dogs can be shot or poisoned but it will probably bark and warn you before it get taken out. Besides, a dog is a great deterrent and only someone who is seriously after you will mess with a mean dog. The flip side is dogs require time and attention as well as food and vet visits. They are great companions when properly trained. My dog covers my whole back yard 24/7. My alarm covers the rest since no one has their house completely fenced in in my neighborhood. The police response time is incredible here.

Good luck!
Old August 11, 2005, 11:37 PM   #22
Blue Heeler

7.62 - Some of us leave our houses from time to time. Good passive security means you have more chance of your stuff still being there when you get back.
Old August 12, 2005, 01:29 AM   #23
LAK

If you plan, design and have fabricated and installed your own steel shutters, escaping a fire shouldn't be a problem. They can be made to open from the inside, and this need not include a lock and key.
Old August 12, 2005, 08:38 AM   #24
powerstrk

Hurricane Windows

There is a company down here in Florida that manufactures windows that will withstand a impact of a 6 foot 2x4 shot out of a air cannon at 30 mph. Do a Google internet search on it. They are expensive and custom made to the house. They are also advertised for home security.

"A Proud TFL Alumnis"
Old August 12, 2005, 09:13 AM   #25

Trip 20

I understand. I am just used to my country area with not much crime. If I were in your situation, I would install motion detecting lights in your home. One aimed at your bed, with the sensor aimed at the hallway would be a good idea.

I do have to leave my home a lot, but I don't worry about it. I do love my community and am thankful for the location I was brought up in. Give the motion sensor thing a try. I would.

Good luck.
No hard feelings meant

www.ruger-firearms.com
www.smith-wesson.com