The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 25, 2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Mike Gaines

Help needed on customizing sidearms

I've been given some older yet fun to fire sidearms that I can't find a lot of intel on they are; 1937 exercito brasileiro colt .45 and a model 107 millitary Supermatic tournament 22LR. Since my weapon of choice is my M24 with my Mk4 I'm not that well versed in customizing or pricing sidearms. What kind of customizations would help make these weapons a little more tactically reliable and what would one of these little beauties go for on an open market.
Thanks for the time
Mike
Old September 26, 2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Scorch

The High Standard Supermatic Military has some collector interest, they sell for about $300-$700 depending on model, condition, etc. Parts are generally NOT available.

The Brazilian M1937 is a standard Colt in M1911A1 configuration. There is good collector interest in most of the military 1911s, not sure about the Brazilian models. Any part that will fit a 1911A1 will fit your M1937, although any work you do to it will ruin any collector value it may have, and there are better, newer, cheaper handguns available for what you are considering.

Since both of these firearms may be collectible, why not have them appraised and see if you can buy something better with the proceeds of a sale and still have cash left over?
Old September 26, 2008, 03:12 PM   #3
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch
Since both of these firearms may be collectible, why not have them appraised and see if you can buy something better with the proceeds of a sale and still have cash left over?
I'd say they are collectible. The above is good advice.
Old September 28, 2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Mike Gaines

thank you both I'm having them looked at this week and we'll see what they grab.