View Poll Results: Do you have a BUG out Bag
Yes 61 39.61%
No 26 16.88%
No, But I am going to put one together soon 46 29.87%
No, and you are paranoid for having one at all 21 13.64%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31, 2005, 07:03 PM   #176
butch50

Same here - I was wondering how many of the people who did not evacuate made some minimal provisions for a three week stay without the benefit of running water, electricity or stores being open.

When I lived in Florida I kept 200 gallons of water stored in clean plastic drums, canned foods to last my family for three weeks minimum, sterno for cooking, and lots and lots of plastic bags for use in the toilet. Only needed some of the stuff for a short while after Andrew - but it was on hand all the time.

I don't do that now, living in the middle of Texas - but maybe I should reconsider - if that storm had tracked through Houston and on up through the middle of Texas we could have been without electicity or water for a few days anyway.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry

Last edited by butch50; August 31, 2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old September 6, 2005, 12:27 PM   #177
jcoiii

After seeing the social breakdown of a hurricane in one city, I'm quickly stepping up my acquisition and preperation of a BoB. (anyone read The Stand?)

I do not aim with my hand.......
Old September 6, 2005, 06:10 PM   #178
butch50

After Katrina, I am thinking I need to put in 10 days rations instead of 3.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old September 7, 2005, 12:49 PM   #179
LoadIt

I have been camping for quite a while and have one of those big Rubbermade bins that I keep most of my camping supplies in. I always thought if a disaster happened, I could just throw the plastic bin into the back of the truck and get outta Dodge. Boy, am I wrong.

I went camping for the Labor Day holiday with my wife and eight year old son. We packed our four days of clothes and gathered the food on Thursday. So Friday comes along and all I have to do is put the stuff in the truck and we would be on our way. Ten minutes, right? WRONG!!!!!!!! I swear, it took over an hour to load the stuff that we had prepared the night before.

When I was a kid (I'm 32 now) we would take a bag of clothes, sleeping bag, pup tent, hatchet, lantern, a cooler for sodas and food, and a jug of water. Now there is a huge two room dome tent, air matresses, three coolers, bicycle, and other crap that we don't need. When I started to realize all of the unnecessary B.S. I was loading into the truck, I actually started getting pissed off. Then I though to myself "what if we really had to get away in a hurry?" For just about the entire weekend, I kept pointing stuff out to my wife things that we didn't need. So now I'm making up a bag to grab and go.

Here is what I have so far....

medium size backpack with Molle attaching points
first aid kit in waterproof box
quart canteen for water
water purification tablets
4 MRE's
12 Trioxane fuel bars
matches
1 set BDU pants and shirt (lots of pockets)
boonie hat
bandana
300 foot para-cord
roll of toilet paper
hatchet
folding shovel
binoculars
angle head flashlight with colored lenses
Streamlight Stylus LED penlight (green)
6 green chem-lights
compass
M-7 bayonet to use as field knife

I know I need more, but not much more. Maybe a signal mirror, tarp and emergency blanket. I should probably make up a couple of more packs for the rest of the family so we'll have more MRE's and water. Of course a .22 pistol and ammo would be in there. AR-15 and a couple hundred rounds of ammo on bandoliers if on foot, .308 added if we were in the truck.

With the way the state and local governments handled the Katrina situation, I should probably finish this project pretty quick.