The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 16, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Gun Cleanin Tools Help

Have a a couple rifles and want some advice on best bore brush to use for cleaning and also cleaning rod? I am thinking about getting some Butch's Bore Shine to use to clean my barrels good that I reload for.

Thanks for the help.
Old April 16, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, browninghunter86. Your probably going to get as many different answers as posts on this one! I have and use the Dewey rod..but lately, I have been buying Bore-Tech rods..these have a smoother ball-bearing running handle & it's a soft rubber. I like their new Proof Positive rods & jags..won't give a false copper read with some copper solvents like brass does. They are pricy..but with care, should last a long time. Aside from good rods, You should invest in a rod-guide..keeps rod from wearing throat.
One of my favorite catalogs is Sinclair International..now even better since they are now part of Brownell's..plus they have technical assistance for loading, cleaning, etc.

Last edited by Ideal Tool; April 16, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old April 20, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
browninghunter86

anybody? Mainly seeing if Nylon or bronze brushes are better to use with the Bore Shine or Shooters Choice
Old April 20, 2012, 11:33 PM   #4
toolguy2006

I like my Dewey rods, but they are the only "high end" cleaning rods that I have ever owned. On my .22 cal stuff, I have taken to using the "O.T.I.S." kit that I bought for my AR.

As far as the chemicals, I have never used Bore Shine, so I can't give any input there. As long as its not a copper solvent, the bronze brushes should work just fine. Nylon always seemed a little wimpy for me.
Old April 21, 2012, 07:34 AM   #5
hooligan1

I use the Tipton brand rod for my .270 win and my 7mm rem mag, and with those I use a nylon brush, unless they are terribly cruddy then I use a bronze.
As far as solvents go, I have tried about umteen different bore solvents, You name it I have probably tried them,, I like the Bore Tech Eliminator, for my copper fouling,,, as far as carbon goes, it does a decent job on that also.
I use only one type of "gun oil" and that's G-96, its heads and tails better than anything else I've tried since I was a kid cleaning my first .22 rifle. I use to get Tri-Flow, it's similar to "Break-Free", but has a better residual oil film I think, but by far the G-96 wins hands down. (and smells like bubble gum)

You should use a bore guide also, and I use the Tipton brand but its not quite the very best, it actually could have been designed better.
Old April 21, 2012, 06:37 PM   #6
browninghunter86

thanks for the info everyone